Evinrude 40HP--leaking gear lube

4WinnMark

Cadet
When I put my boat back on the trailer yesterday I noticed gear lube coming out of a water discharge hole (see pics below). This was after a day of fishing, with a lot of motor use moving from spot to spot. Any ideas on what I might be dealing with?

lindy46

Captain
Probably just unburnt fuel/oil exhaust residue, as it is above the gearcase.

4WinnMark

Cadet
Take a look at the close up pic....it's leaking thick blue "goop"....that's why I say gear lube. I was hoping it was exhause too, I think that would be would be thinner.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Well, ---It is very common for oil to leak there on 2 stroke motors.-----But since the price of gears / bearing / shafts is very high you might want to act.-----Have the gearcase pressure tested to make sure it is not a gearcase leak !!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Check gear oil. If it is full and there isn't any water intrusion, relax. It would be a major leak it it were coming out that profusely. More likely it is unburned fuel from the starting and stopping and slow speed running. But check it to be sure. I guess it could be the shift rod seal.

BTW, is the gear oil blue?

4WinnMark

Cadet
Thanks guys...appreciate the help. I just took a whiff...I think it?s the normal 2 stroke residue. Certainly doesn?t smell like gear lube.