1996 Johnson 30 hp alarm

kittycat

Cadet
I have a 1996 30 hp Johnson 2 stroke. model J30EEDE with NO VRO. it does not look like it has ever had one either. I have been using the boat for the past few days with no issues. while trolling a steady alarm went off and the low oil light lit up . I shut down the motor waited a few min started and alarm still going off. repeated again no alarm but low oil light was on. This boat has the standard 4 light gauge that goes through all 4 lights and an alarm when you first start it, all work fine for my previous trips. Now when sitting in my driveway turn key to on position goes through system check with alarm , but when it gets to low oil light it either stays on or flashes with no pattern. I ran the motor in a bucket of water and starved it for water and the temp light lit up as it should. . I shook wires harness and squeezed it all over to check to see it the light changes , even jiggled the key to see if any changes can be seen. even wiggled wires on engine with no change. have had no luck. looking for advise ???????

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Wrong controls and gauges for that particular motor!----What motor was on the boat before this one ?

kittycat

Cadet
Both the motor and the boat are 1996 . that motor has been on that boat for at least 10 years that I know of and probably since new . This alarm issue has never happened before in the past 10 years , The motor has run prefect. .. the controls are also the same for the past 10 years .

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
The system check gauge as well as possibly the horn has gone bad...

You will also now need to replace your impeller as you stated that you starved it for water. In the future ask and we will tell you how to trouble shoot overheat alarms without actually overheating your motor.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Which of the following warnings were you receiving?

(VRO Horn Warnings)
(J. Reeves)

NOTE: I retired around 1991/92. Possibly some of the later V4 engines and others may also incorporate a fuel vacuum switch that would enable a fuel restriction warning to sound as mentioned below, an unknown factor to myself.

1 - A steady constant beep = Overheating - The V/6 engines, possibly some others, have a fuel restriction warning which is also a steady constant beep.

2 - A beep every 20 or 40 seconds = oil level has dropped to 1/4 tank. (Late model engine = Every 40 seconds)

3 - A beep every other second = VRO failure, air leak in oil line, oil restriction, (anything that would result in a lack of oil being supplied to the engine).

NOTE - If the warning horn is the black plastic (overpriced) three wire type horn, the warning horn should beep once when the ignition key is turned to the ON position. If it does not, it is either faulty or someone has disconnected it (a stupid move!). At any rate, if it does not beep which indicates that the horn is non functional, find out why and do not run the engine until the problem is corrected.