Ignition Troubleshooting for Evinrude 15 hp 4 strokes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylva-Ranger

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Do you know how i can find troubleshooting guide and specs for a 2000 15 hp Evinrude 4 strokes , (the ones whit a sigle coils for the 2 cylinders) ?

​I have intermitant problems whit one.

Thank you

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The parts are pricey.------What exactly is the motor doing ?----Have you run with a timing light to verify ignition miss ?----Did this problem show up suddenly ?

Sylva-Ranger

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The engine have to run about 15-30 mins before the problems sudently appear........ it begin to missfire, slow down...Dont take is gaz....the shop-RPM RPM become erratic and you can see whit the timing light.........I temporary by-pass the oil pressure switch to be sure it's not the safety limiter......... When it missfire theyre sthill have about 200 volts (Whit DVA) on the coil primary ..........

​There a kind of not commun ignition coil whith 2 primary and to secondary wires..........The 2 primary came from the same wire from the Power Pack.

IT's not my outboard, When i begin to work on this engine it have no fire at all, so i put a brand new OMC $$$ PowerPack and now have fire...............The ignition coil is NLA from OMC

​All the ohms and DVA reading from under the flywheel are ok according to Clymers manuals............I prefer CDI testing specs but cant find this engine that why i begin this post......

​If you stop the engine few minutes and let comme cold,and start again it running ok for another 15 mins and begin the same missfiring.

​Not seem a fuel related problems, fuel pump and carb are ok and choking doesn't change anyting.........priming bulb stay normal all the time.

​Like is the ignition coil but try one used and about the same problems........May bee just not lucky ?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Use a timing light and see if it is misfiring.------Have you checked valve clearance and the rocker arms ?

Sylva-Ranger

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Like i said, you can see whit the timing lite and in the same time the rpm become erratic.

​You have a good idea.........I dont check the valve clearance yet but i whill do , it's a normal maintenance anyways ............And we never know !

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I have 3 of those motors !----Not the most popular items.----Facts---On most small 2 cylinder 4 strokes both cylinders fire at the same time.----It appears the coil is available aftermarket.----Might be available from factory for an outrageous price too.----Factory appears to offer a kit as well to use another coil and orange wire splits to 2 wires.----I am not saying a new coil will solve you issue !

Sylva-Ranger

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My dealer tell me the OEM coil is NLA from Evinrude, Mine have one primary wires split in 2 .......It'a like 2 coil in one, because if i remove one primary, that cylinder lost fire.....

​Siera and CDI apparently not produce remplament coil for that model...Do you have another suggestion ?

​Do you think i can use temporary a double coil from a snowmobile just for testing purpose ?

.Sory for the bad English .......not my language

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
No Title

On another site I found this. It is supposed to be a replacement kit including a mounting bracket that replaces OEM part number 0584451. And at half the price. The part number is 584451-KIT.

Attachments

• photo281048.jpg
    photo281048.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo281051.jpg
    photo281051.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Try Ken Cook .Com. in Milwaukee WI for a factory service manual.

Sylva-Ranger

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Tried to find someone have similar engine to make a coil test but never find one.............After one year i take the engine today to make some tests…………..Clean the carburetor and his parts in ultrasonic cleaner, blow all the fuel passages,jets etc.... adjust float level whit the OMC gages ,check fuel inlet valve, also check valves clearance adjustement, all in the specs……..

Check the fuel pump pressure, about 5 psi all the time including when the engine missfire.

Check operating temperature at the thermostat location whit the lazer gun and it's ok, the engon don't overheat or stay to much cold...

Run test the engine in the test tank……..About 15 minutes later sudently began to missfire………….Check whit the timing light ……….can't say the ignition go out, but the timing fluctuate greatly when it begin to missfire…….The timing advance in this engine is not mechanical, but probably electronicaly controled by the Power-pack, that means that that timing may change if rpm not stay constant. During misfiring sthill have 200 v DVA at the coil primary.

If you stop the engine for a while , many time it,s ok when you start it again……

When checking in the spark-plugs holes i find many carbon on the piston, i put Sea-Foam in the fuel and now i'm trying a decarbs whit sea-Foam spray to help to clean valves and combustion chamber……….During wrinting this post, i whait to restart the engine after Sea foam make is job..........May be help but i knows is probably not the problem…..

boobie

Supreme Mariner
If the timing light is still fluctuating when the problem occurs you still have ignition problems. Try the outboard salvage yards listed at the top of the forum for parts.

Last edited:

tdo123

Recruit
Tried to find someone have similar engine to make a coil test but never find one.............After one year i take the engine today to make some tests…………..Clean the carburetor and his parts in ultrasonic cleaner, blow all the fuel passages,jets etc.... adjust float level whit the OMC gages ,check fuel inlet valve, also check valves clearance adjustement, all in the specs……..

Check the fuel pump pressure, about 5 psi all the time including when the engine missfire.

Check operating temperature at the thermostat location whit the lazer gun and it's ok, the engon don't overheat or stay to much cold...

Run test the engine in the test tank……..About 15 minutes later sudently began to missfire………….Check whit the timing light ……….can't say the ignition go out, but the timing fluctuate greatly when it begin to missfire…….The timing advance in this engine is not mechanical, but probably electronicaly controled by the Power-pack, that means that that timing may change if rpm not stay constant. During misfiring sthill have 200 v DVA at the coil primary.

If you stop the engine for a while , many time it,s ok when you start it again……

When checking in the spark-plugs holes i find many carbon on the piston, i put Sea-Foam in the fuel and now i'm trying a decarbs whit sea-Foam spray to help to clean valves and combustion chamber……….During wrinting this post, i whait to restart the engine after Sea foam make is job..........May be help but i knows is probably not the problem…..

Did u ever find or fix the problem ?

Status
Not open for further replies.