Pulling Flywheel on 96 150 Johnson Oceanrunner

midsized johnson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The service manual says I need to put a piston stop in place when I pull the flywheel. Is this absolutely necessary? A mechanic friend of mine says he thinks it might put too much pressure on rods and bearings for that piston.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
??---Not sure what kind of manual you are using.-----Model # of your motor ?---Factory manual or one of those manuals that belongs in the wee house with the half moon in the door.----I have never needed to use a piston stop for this procedure !

midsized johnson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
??---Not sure what kind of manual you are using.-----Model # of your motor ?---Factory manual or one of those manuals that belongs in the wee house with the half moon in the door.----I have never needed to use a piston stop for this procedure !

Lol. This is a factory manual. I can't see why it would have to be indexed to TDC, as it looks to me like the flywheel can only go one way, correct?
I wish I could give you the model number. All I've got on the title is a serial number and another number, but not one like J150ELEDB. The placard on the mid section is pretty much wiped out.

midsized johnson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Okay, upon further review, I'm supposed to index the motor at 30 degrees ATDC then remove the piston stop tool. My '98 factory manual looks identical to Cat22's pic. Sorry, mechanic practicing without a license.:D

The manual says to discard the 5 screws after removal. Are these a special, hardened steel that's been torqued and won't re-torque if used again?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
The manual says to discard the 5 screws after removal. Are these a special, hardened steel that's been torqued and won't re-torque if used again?
Yep.....and they aint hardened.

V153

Lieutenant Commander
Dang that sho sounds complicated. Think I'll stick with the V4's ...

V153

Lieutenant Commander
Ain't there a lil thingy stuck in the crankshaft, and a groove in the flywheel to keep it pointed where it's posed to go? Not tryin to be a ****, just seems awful elaborate?

midsized johnson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ain't there a lil thingy stuck in the crankshaft, and a groove in the flywheel to keep it pointed where it's posed to go? Not tryin to be a ****, just seems awful elaborate?

That was the basis for my question! It seems like the timing wheel and flywheel can only go on one way. The timing wheel has a keyway and the flywheel has a pin and a five bolt pattern. It can only go one way. I don't see how it could be "out of time" if you don't knock it around taking it apart. Anyway, job is done and motor back in service.

V153

Lieutenant Commander
Atta boy! In my opinion all these elaborate procedures, and most "special" tools, are BS. Make my own special tools ...