evinrude 150 no spark, need help.

desertratz

Seaman Apprentice
just bought this boat with a 1992 evinrude 150 te150glenc. it cranks but no start. it has no spark on any cylinder. i bypassed the lanyard/killswitch and still no spark. i checked the resistance values on the stator and all are within spec except one which is reading 90 ohms and the range is 50-60 ohms. for some reason i am suspecting the optical sensor because the timing wheel was loose and worn and i had to break it off to remove it. im thinking it may have been hitting the optical sensor and damaged it, any help is appreciated.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Best thing to do when you suspect the optical sensor is just replace it. Been there.

desertratz

Seaman Apprentice
Well it wasnt the optical sensor, there is power at the engine but no spark anywhere will have to continue to trouble shoot. i follower cdi website info to no avail

desertratz

Seaman Apprentice
ok so update, it has spark on all 6 cylinders. the reason i thought it didnt have spark is because it has weak spark. it will show up using a timing light while cranking but will not jump across a spark gap tester. so now i have to figure out what would cause weak spark. anyone have any ideas?

desertratz

Seaman Apprentice
i replaced the optical sensor thinking it was causing the no spark, but it has spark just seems to be weak.

desertratz

Seaman Apprentice
well thanks for the input guys, i think my homemade spark tester screwed me. i used a timing light and it showed spark on all 6, so i sprayed some premix in the carb throats and it started up.

cfauvel

Chief Petty Officer
then it must be a fuel delivery issue.
1 - floats in the bowls are not allowing fuel in
2 - fuel pump is not drawing fuel
3 - primer bulb is faulty and not priming the fuel pump and carb bowls
4 - obstruction in the fuel lines from the tank
5 - obstruction in the anti-siphon valve at the tank (if it has one)
6 - obstruction in the fuel pickup tube in the tank.

desertratz

Seaman Apprentice
The optical sensor is what fixed it.
the boat had been sitting for years so i disconnected the fuel line so it wouldnt suck up old fuel out of the tank. and tried firing it up with a portable fuel tank plumbed in. It had fuel but no spark. So i ordered the optical sensor. i then replaced it and tried cranking it without any fuel hooked up, i was just checking to see if it now had spark. Using my homemade spark tester (not working properly) i thought it still didnt have spark. after driving myself insane i finally rechecked spark using my timing light. which was showing spark on all 6 cylinders. so i just squirted fuel into the carb throats to verify it was working, and yup it fired up.
so in the end it was the optical sensor that was bad and i was going around in circles because my spark tester wasnt working properly.