Paint to refresh an Johnson 6hp 1977

ronbourd

Cadet
I would like to repaint the "cream or white "paint on the lower part of my little 6 hp Johnson 1977. Can someone tell me what paint I should buy locally, that would be "acceptable" or near the same color as the original paint ? Thank you very much for your help! Ronald.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
If not too fussy, can choose a Duplicolor paint (or similar) off the shelf and use that. Cream or "warm" white is tough to match -- might get something close, and paint both the gearcase and leg. The Carquest store in my neighborhood matches colors and will mix up spray cans for a reasonable price (good option).

For a more serious (and more expensive) restoration, you can locate sources for the oem color -- NYMarine is a good source.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Johnson part number is 172748, replaced by 0777178 (spray can). An Evinrude dealer can order it for you.

EDIT: So can iboats

thatone123

Banned
I match up many paints for many outboards of different makes. The duplicator OEM paints are very expensive and if you can match the right color even Wal-mat paints will work as they carry major brands. I use a lot of grey, dark grey, off or cream white and antique white. The light blue metallic Evinrude is hard to match and find but can be done. Auto stores carry a lot of good metallic paint also. Dudes in S. California can paint a whole custom car in rattle can paint and look like factory, so don't let anyone give you a lot of BS about rattle can paint. For you application a paint by rust-oleum called Heirloom white works good for me. Many places on the net will not ship or extreme cost because of haz-mat regulations...just go local and save BIG.

V153

Lieutenant Commander
If not in stock.True Value hardware has matching rattle cans in their marine catalog. Be on the next truck.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
I've also played with the Heirloom paint (Rustoleum), and it works well if you can find a decent match.

The Evinrude polychromatic blue is a tough. I got a nice single stage match some years ago at an auto body shop, and plan to use that ppg code if I do additonal '57s. (This assumes I can find it after a couple of intervening moves.)

A few years ago (actually 8-10, I think), AOMCI collected info. on paint matches members were using -- probably still available somewhere on the site. There's a subjective element involved, obviously.

If a can or two of the NOS oem color turns up, of course, buy up what you can get your hands on.