Need help please...

Doinit

Seaman Apprentice
Tomorrow I will trace all the power pack wires and let you know where they go to the best of my ability. And yes this wirring has been modified, but I think it is right. The vacuum switch has been disconnected and at first I thought it would be an issue but it ran like that just fine.but I don't think I will be restoring the wiring back to the original' I don't think I could get all the parts to do so. The issue with this motor I am hoping is a simple one. I have had it out with all the wirring as it is modified I mean and it ran great...

Doinit

Seaman Apprentice
I do have access to the wire diagram and have ooked it over and over and checked the switch and traced the switch out according to the diagram. I thought there may be a simple way to diagnose the problem by putting wire s in a certain way off the sellonoid or whatever to see if it solves the problem. I just don't have the knowledge

F_R

Supreme Mariner
So today I took and hooked a wire from the pos side of the batt strait to the selonoid and it did the same thing, as long as I had the wire on the selonoid it would run with key switch on. When the wire was removed from the selonoid the motor would die. I am not sure what this determines though. The pulse pack wires I don't believe are the problem because this motor ran like a champ before this issue started and they have not been messed with. I do know that the purple wire is not connected to the starter or the selonoid, if I remember correctly it is going to either the voltage regulator or the little round thing next to it. It also seems to want to kick in the other direction as it tries to start sometimes.

So, exactly where on the solenoid did you connect this wire from the battery? I think we are getting somewhere now.

Doinit

Seaman Apprentice
I hooked up a test wire from the positive side of the battery to the post on the selonoid that the wire from the switch marked s is attached to.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Well there ya go---that is the same as connecting it to the ST terminal on the key switch. Totally wrong!! You have a wiring error someplace. For some reason, you are not connected at the IGN/ACC terminal at the key switch -- or the switch is not working. AND, it should not be connected to the ST terminal anyway, except via the key switch while cranking. That's as well as I can diagnose it from here. Safe to say, the wiring is screwed up somewhere.
OR it is disconnected somewhere else, such as the vacuum switch or voltage suppressor. The only sensible way of diagnosing it is checking voltages against the wiring diagram. I could locate the trouble in 10 minutes or less, but I'm not there to do it for you.

There is no voo-doo in electricity. Stuff like this is very simple, actually.

Doinit

Seaman Apprentice
What is the vacuum switch hooked up to and are the wires both hot. I have a red wire with a white stripe and a red wire with a yellow stripe. I don?t know what to connect them to.

Doinit

Seaman Apprentice
This motor does run fine without the vacuum switch hooked up. I do have a wire diagram but the parts that the wires looked like they went to are no longer on this engine. So they must have by passed the switch.

Doinit

Seaman Apprentice
I did look at the switch today and the battery wire coming from the battery to the switch is hooked to the switch marked b. The wire coming off the selonoid to the switch is hooked to the s terminal on the switch and the wires that are hot for all the gauges are hooked to the accessory terminal on the switch. That is it as far as the switch goes...

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Sure, that is it as far as the switch goes. EXCEPT you failed to mention a wire between the ACC terminal and the pulse pack. Is it there or not there?

Doinit

Seaman Apprentice
I am not sure what you mean, when you say between. Are you asking about a wire between these two points of the switch or somewhere else on the motor? Coming from where and going where?

Doinit

Seaman Apprentice
I did find that my battery ground wire needed to be fixed because the insulated rubber was worn so i wrapped it with electrical tape.

Doinit

Seaman Apprentice
Clear comunication and knowledge with direction is what i need and it does not look like it is here. So i will seek elsewhere

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Fact ------Your motor is no longer the way it left the factory !----Folks with up up 50 years experience gave / offered excellent advice !-----You do not follow advice and wander off in other directions with your own ideas.------This is often the case when a thread goes to 50 posts or more.------Find an old time grey haired mechanic to help you as was suggested already !

bgbsshntr

Seaman Apprentice
Joe I finally see you on. I have read a lot about you and read your posts. Thank you for offering your knowledge