NO FIRE TOP CYLINDER J10ROEOE

heypawpaw

Petty Officer 2nd Class
While checking spark on this engine bottom jumps 1/2'" gap with blue spark with a snap to it; but top will only jump 3/16" intermittently if at all. I then switched top plug wire to bottom side of coil and spark jumps 1/2" gap so plug wire is good. Should I get a new coil at this point or is there further tests I should run? Would a power pack problem cause the coil to fire only on top or bottom? Thanks for your help.

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
Maybe just switch the coils and see. If you have a multi meter than you can test the coils to see if readings match.

heypawpaw

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It's a dual coil so there is nothing to swap out. Thanks anyway.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
OK so it is one assembly with 2 coils.------Test spark after switching orange wires from pack to coils.

heypawpaw

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sorry for misprint J10REOE is correct. Thanks racerone. I'll try that it should narrow it down to the power pack or the coil.

heypawpaw

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Switched power pack wires and no spark on top and good spark on bottom as before. Does manufacturer matter for coils?

heypawpaw

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Today I installed new coil, verified spark and motor cranked up on second pull. Took the boat out to the bayou and it would crank and after about 30 seconds kill. restart choke it pull one time unchoke and it starts again and runs good at high rpms; but if I slow it down enough to shift it kills. If I get it in gear without killing it will run good from mid range to wide open. Took it home disassembled and cleaned carb. Removed high speed jet and welch plug and cleaned atomizer tube. The low idle screw on plastic top on right side of carb has a flat end (no point). Took it out again and no change. Choke it start it and it runs fast and kills if try to idle. If it kills it will not start again unless it is choked. Known good gas, gas tank, hose, fuel pump ok

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Would get compression numbers, just to be sure. How was the fuel pump tested/checked? Primer in the run position? (lever parallel to body)

heypawpaw

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Checked fuel pump by disconnecting fuel line to carb and inserted end into empty water bottle and pulled engine ovwer several times and pump works good. Today rechecked link & sync and then ran engine in a drum backing out low speed adjustment a little at a time until engine idled properly. Ended with adjustment 4 1/4 turns out. Took boat out to bayou after and it ran great thanks for all the help.