1995 evinrude 70 hp water pump failure

aberfoyle

Cadet
Hi All,

Replacing a water pump seems doable, but I've not been able to so far...

Looking for replacement water pump for my 1995 evinrude 70 hp at the evinrude web site, I am led to kit #
0436957WATER PUMP REPAIR KIT, (Includes impeller hou ing). FOR 1995 & NEWER MODELS USE 438591. FOR 1994 & OLDER MODELS USE 432955.
part number 93 on the gearcase diagram.

So for 1995, it says use 438591. Ok, on ebay, there "new old stock" showing this kit has a three bladed impeller. On another web site there is a statement saying 432955 (6 bladed impeller) replaces 438591. My service manual (which is p/n 503149) shows a three bladed impeller. The Seloc manual seems to suggest 6 blades. Going to various sites and looking at "E70TLEOR" (the engine's model number) leads me to 432955.

I used the Sierra 18-3387 (the kit with no housing) and it failed, I want to order the right part for my next attempt. One very obvious difference from OMC and Sierra was the original water pump used a cup that the impeller sat in. The cup then sat in the housing. The Sierra kit provided a bottom plate and a side ring to form the same cup shape. These two pieces never seemed to fit very well into what was most likely the original housing.

Any ideas on what part I need? Has anyone had good luck with the two piece cup of the Sierra Kit?

Thanks

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Easiest way would be to call a dealer and get the "superseded " correct part number.

I completely agree that you should go OEM on this one.

You may find that the new OEM kit comes with a thermostat housing upgrade. I can't remember the cutoff year but yours is in that range or close to it. It may also require relocating the tell tale.

racerone seems to have these down to a science, if he chimes in you will be good to go.

aberfoyle

Cadet
Thanks very much. That's the confident advice I needed. I'm off to order the 432955.

Fingers crossed!

aberfoyle

Cadet
Ok, so I got the 432955 kit and could finally be comfortable with the six bladed impeller and the fact that the kit was what was called for - the copyright was 2004 and it stated the kit is for all my size engines since 1986.

One thing I did do is not install the included o-ring onto the drive shaft between impeller and the bottom flat rub plate. The wording was - don't install o-ring between impeller and drive shaft. Hope that was correct interpretation.

Anyhow, did the install, could rotate by hand with not too much effort (used very light coat of grease inside to get it ready) and tested with muffs. Seemed to run fine (had to drop again and measure shift rod height, but that is another story), so off to lake.

Lake height dropped a couple of feet by town officials to get ready for ice, didn't realize, so had launch that involved some sand. Ran for about 5 minutes on plane up to 4500 rpm before overheat alarm. Still spitting water out telltale. In the 8 or 10 minutes it took at slowest speed to get back to the ramp, the alarm stopped sounding.

Have dropped gear case and done inspection. The impeller looks okay, still very light grease in the cup in the housing, but hard to turn by hand. Also a very small amount of fine grit on the bottom rub plate and some sand in gear case in some of casting depressions. Looks to me the fine grit would be expelled by pump, but I'm guessing.

I did replace the thermostat after the first overheat a month ago, but I will take it apart and double check. I guess I'd like to test temperature sensor and expect that heating it in water will cause the gauge to open or close a circuit that I can measure on a multi-meter.

I have a head gasket on hand. If I see no problem with temp sender or thermostat, does removing head and look at cooling passages seem the next place to explore? Does anyone have any other suggestions?

By the way, I had a boat mechanic look into the cylinders with a borescope and he said the cylinders look good, and the head gasket is not leaking. Also compression is good across the three cylinders.

Probably done testing on lakes/rivers for the year and one option is to winterize and forget until spring.

Thanks

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Did you put the impeller key in? Is the water tube lined up correctly? Where does the pee-hole exit the block? The 6 vane pump is the ONLY impeller to use in that motor.

aberfoyle

Cadet
The impeller key was in, the water tube was lined up. No question. The pee-hole hose connects at the top of the block, on the port side.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Did the old impeller come out in one piece if not a piece could be in the block.

aberfoyle

Cadet
Can only speak for the impellers (three) that I've seen since I bought the boat this spring ('94 runabout), but no pieces missing from any.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
If I understand your post, you sucked up some sand after the lake level was lowered. I would pull the l.u., and take the water pump apart to check/clean and reassemble, then flush the engine by running water up the tube (engine off -- need small pump, or garden hose stepped down to fit the water tube. Flush out the intake and housing as best you can. Maybe you've already done this, or something like it.

"My" lake gets lowered 1 - 2 feet every October to prep for winter ice (Keuka L., upstate NY). The folks who pull my boat used another ramp this year thinking the level might be a little low at the normal ramp. They ended up tearing up my prop and rudder. Stuff happens, I guess.

aberfoyle

Cadet
Thanks for the suggestion. I've examined the pump and it looks okay. I'll push some water up the tube with a garden hose. I'll also double check thermostat and overheat sensor then reassemble winterize and let rest rest until spring. Sorry to hear your misfortune. The weather's been so good I'm sure a lot of people got in an extra week or two.

Saw a quote the other day attributed to Travis McGee - "there's never just one thing wrong with a boat". Too new at this to know for sure, but seems about right so far.