1979 Johnson 35 question?

mv6767

Cadet
Is it normal to have exhaust coming out of the two holes on the exhaust housing just above the lower mounts?

Motor has been running great otherwise.

RCO

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yes, that is what the holes are there for.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Is it normal to have exhaust coming out of the two holes on the exhaust housing just above the lower mounts? Motor has been running great otherwise.

Could you post a picture of the area you speak of? I just checked my books and cannot see what you may be referring to. What's the model number of that engine?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
35el79a. The holes are located just above the bottom mounts on the mid section. Too the left of item 25
http://www.iboats.com/Exhaust-Housing-35/dm/*******.568929470--**********.587279963--view_id.1532668

Okay... you're speaking of the two vertical holes just slightly above the front lower motor mount. Yes, as "RCO" gave a short version of... they're there as a water release to keep it from flowing up the driveshaft tube, to keep it away from the lower main bearing and driveshaft spline areas

mv6767

Cadet
Okay... you're speaking of the two vertical holes just slightly above the front lower motor mount. Yes, as "RCO" gave a short version of... they're there as a water release to keep it from flowing up the driveshaft tube, to keep it away from the lower main bearing and driveshaft spline areas

Ok thanks for the replies. I haven't noticed any water, just exhaust. I do have water exiting the pisser and just below the power head on the mid section. Seems everything is good to go.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Ok thanks for the replies. I haven't noticed any water, just exhaust. I do have water exiting the pisser and just below the power head on the mid section. Seems everything is good to go.

Perhaps the tube extension was replaced on top of the water pump?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Perhaps the tube extension was replaced on top of the water pump?

The above is in error. It was supposed to read "Perhaps the tube extension was NOT replaced on top of the water pump?"

The part I speak of is listed in the lower unit graphic, on a standard 20" shaft engine it is pictured just above the water pump. Tube is part #60.

mv6767

Cadet
The above is in error. It was supposed to read "Perhaps the tube extension was NOT replaced on top of the water pump?"

The part I speak of is listed in the lower unit graphic, on a standard 20" shaft engine it is pictured just above the water pump. Tube is part #60.

I see what you mean now. What purpose does it serve and is it a crucial part seeing as the engine hasn't ran hot as of yet this season?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Whether the tube is there or not, it doesn't affect the cooling system. It simply keeps water and exhaust from going up the driveshaft tube.