Odd stuck starter, 3 times in a row??

Lord Tywin

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My starter on my 89 Johnson 70 (J70TLEM) stopped engaging regularly so I ordered a new one. After replacing it, the new one didnt engage either so I returned it as some people stated that theirs didnt work out of the box either (although most were very happy). Ordered a different brand and installed it and it did the same thing...then started the boat once...then went back to not enaging.
What I mean when I say "not engaging" is that when you hit the switch, the starter motor spins but the gear doesnt "fly up" to engage the flywheel (?) and even now when I spin it by hand it doesnt work its way up the shaft to engage.

Any ideas?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
A very common situation. In 90% of the cases, it is NOT the starter or Bendix drive gear---as you have discovered. In MOST cases it is simply low voltage to the starter. And that low voltage usually is the result of either a bad battery or poor battery cable connections. You can have your battery tested for free at many auto parts stores such a Auto Zone. As for the connections, take them apart and CLEAN them shiny bright and reinstall tightly. Don't just look at them or wiggle them, CLEAN them!

OK you doubt it (most people do). When you hit the starter switch, the starter must INSTANTLY begin rotating at full speed. It is the inertia of that sudden rotation that throws the gear up in mesh with the flywheel. Low voltage = slow, or delayed rotation, no gear rise.

One more observation: Many people run out and buy a new solenoid. Again, in most cases, it is not the solenoid at all.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
to expand on it. if your cables have any green showing. throw them away and get new ones. when you clean the ends and the terminals, clean them again. they need to be shiny and clean enough you would have your kids eat off them. also, clean the block where the starter mounts to it.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
You can jump the starter directly to test it -- jumper cable from your truck to the starter. Pos to stud at bottom of starter, negative to bracket. Chances are it will fire -- likely connections or the battery, as discussed above. Solenoids can fail, but wire connections a more likely issue.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
As "oldboat1" states..... run good known jumper cables from a good known fully charged battery directly to the electric starter. If the starter spins over normally (Very Fast) and the bendix engages the flywheel teeth... then obviously the starter is okay and your problem is most likely a voltage drop caused by a loose or a tight but dirty connection.

If this (above) is the case... pertaining to "all" cables and wires associated with the starting system, disconnect and clean all end terminals and the components they connect to, including the battery terminals and the ground at the powerhead. Then tighten with a wrench or pliers... not your fingers if encountering wing nuts.

Lord Tywin

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Turned out that it was another bad starter AGAIN. Fortunately the seller (bought on Amazon) was only an hour away so I drove down there and they exchanged it no problem. They even bench tested the new one to verify it was fully functional. It was and has run great ever since. Thanks for the help!