Evinrude Troubleshooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

joek

Cadet
I have an Evinrude 90 Model E90ELEOC, SN# G03959307, the engine is running fine, but will not engage going forward. The engine revs when I shift into the forward position but does not engage. The engine engages in Reverse without any problem. Looking for suggestions in troubleshooting this issue.<br />Thanks

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude Troubleshooting

Welcome!!<br /><br />Hummm...lets hope its something odd like a prop hub. have you tried your spare?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Evinrude Troubles topic.

tashasdaddy

testing prop:
take a permanent marker, remove the prop, draw a straight line, like the picture. take the boat for a spin, make it do what it is doing. come home remove the prop, if the lines are still line up, it is not the prop, if misaligned, the hub in the prop has slipped, and need to have a new hub installed by a prop shop, or a new prop.

Attachments

• spun prop.JPG
    spun prop.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 0

BeerMonkey

Seaman

sound exactly like what my 89 40 horse does and ive been told it is a broken clutch dog, i haven takin mine apart yet due to the fact im not sure i know what the hell im doing

jbjennings

Captain

Are you using controls or is it a tiller operated motor. Have you done any work to it before the problem started? If not, I'd say you might have a cable out of adjustment, possibly the linkage slipped in the midsection. If not the spun prop, of course.
JBJ

yomomma

Recruit

Hello, 2 questions I have 2 wires coming out for my electric start key switch, which one is the Hot wire , one is black and the other white?
Second is I bought this 9.9 2002, evinrude elect start. The mechanic put on a new power pack, he said it needed replacing. The engine started just fine.
Now I put in on the sailboat and tried to start it using the key and nothing at all. The battery is good so I'm thinking must be something to do with the electrical part of the engine. I have pulled the cowling off to take a look, really wouldnt know what I was looking at anyway. I made sure in was in neutral when I tried starting it. Any suggestions out there?? Please help.

yomomma

Recruit

Thanks guys, no I haven't done nothing to it. It seems like I got a wire crossed or disconnected. The only controls on the tiller handle is fast and slow. It has a 8 foot wire coming from under the cowling I was told that hooks up to the battery and you use the enition switch key to start it. But like I said there seems to be no juice getting to it to even turn over.....

yomomma

Recruit

OK guys I'm hitting sack, I'll do some more work on it tomorrow, pull the cowling and such..Most wiring I've seen are black is ground and red is hot but when there is blk and white thats what gets to me. Just dumb.....

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

yomomma, you posted a question inside a totally unrelated thread...

your issues has nothing to do with the OPs, and furthermore anyone looking down the forum would never think to help out a 9.9 electric start issue inside a 90 hp shift problem thread!!!

even if the title is a little broad

to the OP.....try and dissonnect the shift cable from the motor , at the motor.

then try to shift the lever on the motor into forward and reverse and see if it goes into gear...if so, you can be assured that your cable was just out of adjustment...too much throw to reverse and not enough to forward....hopefully anyway

other wise you might have some lower unit issues , unless they changed the dogs....its a solid piece....if one side was bad, youd probably hear is clanking..

at least it was on the oldest one i took apart(1988)

good luck

bob

flashover911

Recruit

I have a 73hp outboard, I can start it up and idle just fine. Choke works perfect however once i put the motor in gear it bogs down and dies. Any suggestions.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

this thread is over 2 years old...

and i have never heard of a 73 hp motor....could it be a 75 hp?? i dont think i have even heard of a 75 evinrude, actually...

back pressure is killing it....try uping the rpms at idle.......one of the carbs might not be flowing fuel as well as it should... also make sure you ahve spark in all cylinders!!!! just because the motor runs, does not mean all the plugs are firing

bob

JB

This 7 year old thread has been hijacked twice with unrelated topics. That is too many.

If you have a new question start a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.