1963 Evinrude 40hp Lark V -- float needle problems

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
reading and commenting since August. Might reread them yourself. Post numerics.

Good luck with it.

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I know I'm pretty new, and it's hard to tell via the pics, but call me crazy... lol
​It almost looks like the old float has an indentation in it across from the bolt hole you have arrows on to allow clearance, and the new float doesn't have that indentation..

If so, any way an indentation can be made and then reseal new float??

​Again, crazy thought, and probably not even correct, but figured I'd share the thought anyway... LOL

For what it's worth... (or not.. haha)...

SteveVT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Jboute, thanks, probably just the photo -- there isn't an indentation there. I just put arrows there to show a comparison of the diameters of the two floats.

The actual interference is on the fuel bowl, which isn't present in the photos, because you can't see that.

I suppose a pesron could sand down the new float so it didn't interfere and recoat it -- if you knew what coating could withstand gasoline, oil, and ethanol. I don't know what they use.

I will try the old float -- I don't know that there is anything wrong with it. I just replaced it as a matter of course when rebuilding the carb.

Just to clarify for anyone who may be confused by all of the above, I'm just going to try to say what happened in an orderly fashion here. Sorry about any repetition:

I did a lot of work to get this engine running again in August. It had not run in about 25 years I finally did get it going after replacing the magnetos, condensers, points, plug wires, rebuilding the fuel pump and carburetor, and fixing a loose cut-out switch. I also replaced the water pump impeller, and put new seals on the gearbox

I had taken the boat and motor out 10 times, over the last month, starting the motor without problems, but often ending after some runs up to a half hour, with a sudden failure of the fuel system, where the motor would bog down and fuel would pour out of the top of the carburetor.

I did not have ignition problems, I had a carburetor float valve problem, which is in the title of this thread.

The first time this happened, the problem was traced to a chunk of rubber which came from a brand new fuel pump sight glass gasket installed with the fuel pump rebuild kit. It completely deteriorated due to ethanol in the fuel. A replacement gasket worked fine. Since the gasket is located AFTER the fuel filter, the fuel filter could not have stopped this piece from entering the carb.

The second failure was traced to a piece of non-rubber organic debris in the fuel, probably inadvertently left in a line when reassembling.

There was no debris found in the third instance of failure, but I did notice that the new float's tab was catching on the new washer installed under the float needle seat. The tab was too long, or the washer was too thick, but there was clearly rubbing interference when I moved the float.

I thinned down the washer so there was no interference, and as usual cleaned all orifices with carb cleaner and blew them out with compressed air before reassembling.

This weekend the engine failed again, but the failure at first seemed different, because it had run fine, but wouldn't re-start. On all other occasions the motor would start fine, but bog down and spill fuel sometime later.

I did wonder this time if I had a new electrical problem, but on testing this wasn't the case, and again the fuel float needle was the culprit, proven when I tested the motor at home in the barrel. It had just occurred when I tried to restart, because I had squeezed the fuel bulb, and that had flooded the engine. This was NOT an ignition problem.

Today I took the carb out, and took it apart. And found no debris anywhere in the carb.

In testing it I kept the carb off of the engine, with the fuel bowl off, and connected the fuel line. I held the float up against the needle and squeezed the fuel bulb, and nothing came out. This was repeated with both new parts and old carb parts and all worked as expected.

The light bulb finally went off when I added the float bowl back on the carb and I inverted it. With the new float I could not hear the float drop every time I turned it one way or the other. Sometimes it did, sometimes it didn't.

If I took the float bowl off, you could clearly hear the valve work. But it was iffy with the bowl on. Sometimes it opened, sometimes it moved, sometimes it didn't.

I then tried it with the old float. It always worked with the old float -- with the bowl on or with the bowl off.

I then compared the two floats. The new float was a little thicker and wider than the old float and I could also see what looked like a faint wear mark on the fuel bowl where the new float rubbed.

So, I'm not sure why I'm still getting responses about the ignition system, or mention of using a very small amount of seafoam two months and several tanks of gas since. AND the carb and fuel pump were rebuilt well after that, and new hoses were put on, along with a new inline filter, and the carb cleaned several times since.

I'm not sure what metrics are going to prove out the problem, but it's obvious to anyone actually holding this carb in their hand that the float is hitting the fuel bowl and getting stuck.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Geez. If the old float worked, use it. If you want to coat it with something, look for some Red Kote tank coating at an auto parts store -- or a similar product. If you're convinced the float is your problem, put it back together and go boating.

SteveVT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Replaced the new float, seat and needle with the old ones, put the carb and all motor accessories and hoses back together.

Started up instantly, with the lower end in a barrel, and ran it for awhile with no flooding at all.

Inline squeeze bulb pumps up to a hard stop, rather than pushing fuel past the needle as sometimes happened before.

I can't take the boat out on the water because it's raining today, and looks like it will continue until the weekend. But that will be the final test.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Where did the new float come from ?----I thought OMC / BRP did away with cork floats long ago !!

SteveVT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
But where do they get them from........

And is it a guy with cracked glasses and a belt sander making them?

Because a caliper was obviously absent at the time.....

SteveVT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hate to resurrect this old thread again, but my fuel problems have returned. I have opened and cleaned the carb (it was clean when I looked anyway). I put in another new OMCBombardier OEM cork float. Set the float just slightly above sighted level (with the carb upside down) and set the float tab to allow 3/8" drop. The needle and seat are new. Reassembled the carb. Checked for float binding with the carb off of the engine by alternately holding it upright, and then upside down. I could hear the float drop.

Put carb back on engine. Fuel lines: there's a new fuel filter inline, just before the carb. I have all new Gates automotive fuel lines in the engine, and also the same new Gates fuel line back to the new 6 gallon Atwood fuel tank. The fuel pump was rebuilt with OEM kit. The carb had also been rebuilt with OEM kit.

Symptoms, same as in the past: I went out fishing in the morning. Engine starts and runs beautifully. Idles, high speed run to fishing spot (about 2 miles) fine. Fish for a few hours moving around at maybe 1/4 throttle at most, and idling up to spots. No problems at all. Temps increase in the day, reach 90 by afternoon. Bright sun. New Atwood tank is blown up like a balloon in the sun. I decide to return to boat launch.

Motor starts and reaches top speed with no problem. Running back to the launch at high speed for maybe 2 minutes, and then the engine slows and dies. When I try to re-start engine doesn't even pop. Choke is manual off. When I squeeze the fuel line bulb, fuel bubbles out of the top of the carburetor from a hole marked as the "high" speed needle adjustment (it actually doesn't have a high speed adjustment).

I used the trolling motor to return to ramp. Hauled the boat home. Fuel continues to leak out of the carb. I depressurize the tank, remove the engine end fuel line. Leaking stops. I unscrew the carb float bowl drainplug. Clean gas flows out, emptying the fuel bowl. I reconnect fuel line and pump the fuel bulb to flush anything else out out the carb drain. Fuel looks clean. I put the drain plug back in. Squeeze the fuel bulb again and it pumps up to solid properly. No carb fuel leakage any more.

I start the engine. It starts fine.

My question is, is the unvented fuel tank in 90 degree weather overpressurizing the carb? I have recently read about Fuel Delivery Valves, something I'd never heard of before for 2 stroke outboards. Could the new unvented Atwood tank be the problem?

Willyclay

Captain
New Atwood tank is blown up like a balloon in the sun.................... Could the new unvented Atwood tank be the problem?

I believe you have identified the problem. It is a vacuum/suction system between the tank and fuel pump. The "pressurized" tank may be delivering far higher fuel pressure than the fuel pump normally produces. Almost certainly that situation will overwhelm the float-controlled fuel inlet valve. Those old beauties just will not start & run when flooded. Good luck!

SteveVT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks kindly WillyClay, you may be right. I probably will never know because I got an offer on the engine as-is, and so I went for it before I could do another test run.

I have an '89 Mariner 25 I'm going to replace it with and look forward to no longer using 24 to 1 gas mix at the very least!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
That 1963 model 40 HP could run on 50:1 mix.------But the concept of oil mixed with gasoline is not well understood.

SteveVT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Didn't realize that racerone -- I'd read here that you had to have needle bearings for that and just assumed that engine didn't. Wish I'd known better.

Willyclay

Captain
Sorry to hear that your Evinrude is gone. The boat in your profile picture really takes me back to the "good old days" when that Evinrude was new. Do you mind posting what make/model/length it is? Good luck!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I am doing a project boat at this time.------Going to use 3 of the 22 liter steel fuel tanks OMC from the 1960's / 1970's.----Those tanks are sealed until the hose is installed on the tank.-----Best there is in my opinion.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Steve VT----Simple facts are not well known.-------If you looked at the parts list you would find that a 63 model 40 HP has essentially the exact same parts as a 1964 model.---The 40 HP models had needle bearings from day one too !!-----The 64 models were officially the first year for 50:1 mix.------Simple 2 stroke engines were well built in the 1960's but 2 stroke / oil mixing is not well understood !!

SteveVT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sorry I missed these last replies, guys. Racerone thanks for the explanation -- very interesting!

WillyClay, thanks, ti's a 1957 17' Thompson SeaLancer. I've wanted to do more work on the boat these last few years, but the engine was continuous focus for troubleshooting and took all the time. I don't blame the engine, just so many different factors, I gave in -- probably the new owner will have no problems at all after all the work in it, and just a decent tank.

I have just mounted my old '89 Mariner 25hp on the boat -- and am going through that one too as it has sat idle for 24 years. Carb rebuild, water pump rebuild, new pickups/coils/ starter, solenoid, etc. Got it started running today briefly, but found the carb float leaked, so had to send for another. Every time I need a part it takes a week -- no shops or marinas where I live.

I'm nostalgic for that motor -- 30 years ago it pushed my homemade 32 foot 10,000 lb houseboat 1700 miles down the Intracoastal and across Florida through Okeechobie to the west coast. I got the lowest pitch prop Merc made for it, then had a shop de-pitch that down another couple inches. Did hull speed and 100 miles average a day and limited the motor to 2500 rpm, with no problems. Lived on and off that boat for 10 years.

Glad to get that motor back running -- fingers crossed it will. I think it will be a nice motor for the Thompson.

Last edited: