hot water from drain hole

buckmom3

Recruit
Why do i have pressurized hot water coming from the front drain hole on the gear case on an Evinrude E60TLESM ? it was doing this before impeller change also after ...is this normal? any ideas? thank you

Attachments

• photo279494.jpg
    photo279494.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 0

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Probably only noticed it while flushing on muffs. Think it is probably normal, maybe worse with the added pressure on muffs.

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
​I'm actually curious about that picture....
That looks like a garage door behind the engine and the gutter above the garage....
​Did you set the bow down on the driveway so the engine would be higher in the air to get that pic?

Anyway...
​Not an expert, but yeah.. I agree with oldboat1 for sure...
​My 71 50hp Johnson has some warm to hot water out the front too when on muffs.. .

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Cooling water is sent to the exhaust housing to keep it cool. That drain hole is (guess what) a drain hole to drain off that water so it doesn't lay in there forever after you shut the motor off. And it is warm because it came from around the hot exhaust tube. Furthermore, any water that comes out there was headed back to the sea anyway. It comes out if running on muffs or running on the lake, makes no difference.

Don't worry about it--it's normal.

Fed

Commander
I think if the water is coming out under pressure there could be something maybe not right.
I've seen pictures of motors squirting water under pressure from all sorts of places above the gear case and although they seem to run fine I don't think it's normal.
When I say under pressure I mean squirting a couple of feet, if that's the case I'd want to know why.

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Yeah, I'd wonder too if it was squirting a couple feet...
​If it's just "arcing" out, but not even hitting the transom, just out and down then I think that should be fine wouldn't it?
​That's what mine does anyway...

racerone

Supreme Mariner
One poster with MANY years of experience has stated it is NORMAL .

F_R

Supreme Mariner
That 1990 motor is a tad newer than what I'm used to, but let me say this: The mid-section fills up with water approximately to the level of the exhaust relief holes, with the hot inner exhaust tube running down through the center of it. So, if nothing else, it has the pressure of the weight of about a foot and half or so column of water behind the "squirt". Also, I am not intimately familiar with the inner exhaust tube on that one, but is would be a safe guess that it has an inter-connection with the exhaust relief and water discharge, so there might be some exhaust back pressure on that column of water. If that is a good guess, that would increase the "squirt" range.

Nevertheless, I stand behind what I said, that hole drains the mid-section. It has been there since about 1968 models and we've all seen it. And it is normal.