shift rod to gearcase on 9.9 evinrude?

merkdawg0084

Chief Petty Officer
hello. i have an 84 evinrude 9.9, looking at schematic from evinrude for the gearcase it shows par t# 26,25,and 27 which are shift rod bushing, o`ring and then the washer seal? are these items pressed into the lower gearcase? I'm not able to see them? Just making sure they're not missing. Because looking at the schematic it looks like they just slide onto the lower shift rod.. Thanks in advance..

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Those items (O Ring, Gasket) are pressed in by the brass bushing. You are correct... impossible to see. Special tools required to remove/install.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Joe, I can't get my mail to work but will keep trying. Boobie.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Joe, I can't get my mail to work but will keep trying. Boobie.

It's okay Boobie... what I'm asking I can find via another route. However, I wish you luck with that faulty email program.

merkdawg0084

Chief Petty Officer
Thx., Joe Reeves., I appreciate the info., You?ve helped me out in the past on other motors.. I might have been under another username though.,

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Joe, I think the tube had to be against the wall for vibration reasons. Made no diff which side.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Special tool would be a piece of 1/4" threaded rod and a nut with the corners rounded off.----Pulls the bushing out no problem.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Special tool would be a piece of 1/4" threaded rod and a nut with the corners rounded off.----Pulls the bushing out no problem.

That's the homemade version, however, when it does the job just as good as the factory tool (and it does)...... :)