johnson v4 carb differences advantages and disadvantages ???

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
No the shoe is the exhaust coupler(see below) and drill just the 3 holes on each side of unit....

shoe.jpg
drilled.jpg

F_R

Supreme Mariner
You guys must not forget. I could not purchase my 85 in Scotland i had to travel 600mile to get the 85 trying to get a 115 or bigger is like trying to win the lotto. Ther are none to be had. If they are they are not in my budget. I spent $1000 on a just running 85hp and spent $150 in fuel and van rental to get it. The UK is nothing like the states. So please no more about just picking up am cheap 115 ect ect. I hhave to use what i have

Maybe you wouldn't get so many dumb suggestions from us if you told us up front that you are in Scotland. We just naturally assume everybody is from here. Of course that is not true, and there are many other wonderful places in the world. Someday, I want to visit Ireland, the country that my ancestors came from. Maybe I should bring a few motor parts with me?

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Pretty sure the shoe is the item in the first picture Faztbullet posted above.. (post #21)..

spybot

Chief Petty Officer
Sorry my bad fazt I hadnt load the images I know exactly what you mean cheers

spybot

Chief Petty Officer
Put the hi compression heads on, install the pot belly don't cut the exhaust, lose the exhaust shoe and drill the gearcase,install a jack plate to dial it in and get a performance prop and prop it to turn 6000rpm
I will have the engine in bits as i have to fit new crank seals. I will have to machine the the chest flat to accept the filler blocks(this will have to be farmed out) I reckon i could cut the bottom rib out for the pot belly to keep the costs down, possibly a grinder and finish off with a dremmel or should i leave it as is ? I will be doing this on a tight budget as well as trying to get the most out of my engine i also have to watch every penny.
But i know i can do this with the help of you guys. The build will start soon :)

spybot

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Ideally, look for carbs with primer jets already fitted on top. Latest carbies had a flate plate on top so you can clean the idle passages. This replaced a version that looked like a knuckle sandwich on top, and had lots of holes filled with lead shot. These carbs had much improved midrange carburation than the older ones. You'll also see a jet up top on the front.
I will be going with the primer direct to the bypass covers
I read somewhere that the engine starts right up this way.

Attachments

• photo279603.jpg
    photo279603.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 0

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
No the shoe is the exhaust coupler(see below) and drill just the 3 holes on each side of unit....

I can understand drilling the holes, but would removing the exhaust coupler just allow all the water contained in the midsection to drain out and actually increase backpressure?

BTW I see 8 holes drilled

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
What does the drilling of the holes do ?

allows the exhaust out above the anti-ventilation plate. Makes for more noise, whether or not it reduces back pressure much, the thru hub system is of ample capacity. No different than with unmuffed exhaust on I/Os, there the under water system is good for about 300hp

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Using the bypass covers and electric primer is a good way to go.----Note----You should set up a contact to get reasonably priced parts shipped from North America.

spybot

Chief Petty Officer
.----Note----You should set up a contact to get reasonably priced parts shipped from North America.
Yes that is a must. I think i have all the parts bar the spark lever and throttle lever bushing. Almost impossible to get here (Scotland)
I think i can get the crank seals but the other bushings no chance.
So if anyone has a set of throttle and spark lever bushing for a 1980 V4 85 hp they would like to sell please let me know. Part numbers are 318560 and 315081
Thanks folks

spybot

Chief Petty Officer
I think i should really start a new thread on the rebuild/tune up/mod of the 85

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Lots of those bushings here.----But the shipping / handling is going to be 10 X what you get them for by walking over to pick them up.----What is your budget ?---May talk to my agent to see what shipping would cost.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
One budget solution is to make those bushings.----Make it in 2 parts.-----A strip of plastic and washer.----Use an discarded margerine container.---Or visit your local supplier and find the right thickness shimstock.

spybot

Chief Petty Officer
good idea never thought of that. But i think i will get a list of all things i need and see what you can supply. Dont know what the pistons are like not had the heads of her yet. Then if i can get all the things i need from you hopefully get it all in one shipment.
I will start the build post and take PM you with the list of things at a later day.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Is your motor running at all???? All y
ou need to do is bolt on the pot belly as it will open up exhaust breathing a little, drill the exhaust hole in gearcase so you can run a over the hub prop with less blow out,use the existing carbs and run the crap out of it. Do all the mods you talked about if you are only wanting to go fast/race. Reliability goes down and maintenance go up with those mods