throttle gears?

merkdawg0084

Chief Petty Officer
Yes i have a 1984 evinrude 9.9. I have bought a new vertical gear and pin,the inner control shaft gear. I repainted the lower cowl and now in the process of putting it all back together. For all of the gears to work in unison with the throttle handle gears.what is the correct way to install these? I've worked on motors before, just not all of gears. thank you

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Nothing super tricky. The plastic dog bone that connects the outer throttle linkage to the inner has a couple of nubs on it that only allow it to be installed one way. Shine a light into the hole in the belly pan to see where the related notches are in the inner gear. It is possible to force it in there incorrectly, so don't assume it is/was together the right way. Once that's installed, everything else ought to go together correctly.

merkdawg0084

Chief Petty Officer
Ok thank you chinewalker. Was really concerned about how to set the gears to coincide with the throttle gears to make sure I?m going to hit WOT? Does that make sense? Thank you

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Like I said, they should all line up if you get the dog bone in correctly. That said, wide open throttle is set by the stop on the mag plate, not with the throttle handle or gears.