How Blue is Too Blue? Crankshaft bluing - Evinrude 140 Looper.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
I tore down a blown 140 Looper this weekend, c. 1988. It had badly scuffed three pistons, due to an overheat. The overheat was caused by the bracket that the water tube fits into coming loose from the adapter plate by the exhaust tuner. All three bolts were just gone with the bracket hanging loose!

Anyway, pondering what to do with the powerhead - got the crankshaft out and it has some pretty dark bluing at the upper main bearing area. How blue is too blue? Is the crank ready for the scrap bin or is it still usable? CrankshaftIMG_3093.jpg

Attachments

• CrankshaftIMG_3093.jpg
    CrankshaftIMG_3093.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
for the material to stay blue like that, it got way too hot and probably annealed the crankshaft.

blue would indicate the material got over 500C and the annealing point is about 340C

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Guys, just thinking out out here, what would you say to having it hardness tested?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
I see the discoloration but no ridges, wear, whatever. The bearing is junk of course... but... the crank? Could be just surface blue. I'd try some wet/dry 600 with a little mineral spirits just to see how much time it takes to obtain the mirror finish.... UNLESS all throws and the bottom main follows suit.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
No Title

The rod journals don't look too bad. I may try polishing it to see how deep it goes. If there's any question, in the scrap pile it goes...

Attachments

• photo279355.jpg
    photo279355.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo279356.jpg
    photo279356.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I always polish the journals with a nice crosshatch pattern.-----There is nothing wrong with that crankshaft !!

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
I never put any questionable parts back in a motor, the cost and hassle of it failing, then needing to rebuild it "again" just isn't worth it.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
My 2 cents.....

If it were my own motor, I would try to polish it out and use it.

If it were someone else's motor, I would recommend they find another crank, or warn of possible failure. You know that if anything ever happens, you will hear nothing but squawking and you will be the devil. Not worth the trouble!@

racerone

Supreme Mariner
A quick wipe with 220 grit and the " blue " is gone.----If it truly got really hot there would be much more damage to it.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
You don't show the center bearing journal. Its condition?