1979 Evinrude 115 New Shaft seal leaks

Steam

Cadet
I put in a new seal kit on the lower unit and had a time with the bearing carrier assembly. Now during the pressure test, it gets to 11 psi and the shaft seals under the water pump are leaking along the drive shaft. I took it apart and checked them, they looked ok, the inner retaining spring had slipped on the inner seal, I reinstalled the spring, cleaned up the shaft some more, and reinstalled the assembly, it still only gets to 10 or 11 pounds. I let it sit for 2 hours and it had bled down to 8 psi. The shaft it still a little rough where the seals ride. I was using alcohol and a greenie to clean it since every other post warns NOT to scratch that shaft. What is my next best move? Do I get sandpaper to try to smooth out that shaft more? Do I need new seals?

Steam

Cadet
No Title

certainly. It appears to me that the pitting is above the seal area. The area where I see the seals riding feels smooth. I dunno, maybe I nicked the new seal on the first install.

Attachments

• photo279325.jpg
    photo279325.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo279326.jpg
    photo279326.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo279327.jpg
    photo279327.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Steam

Cadet
Update... I decided to order OEM seals from another online vendor. Figured that in the off chance I did the job right the first time, maybe it was the aftermarket sierra seals that were the problem. I did do more polishing of the seal seating area and then installed the OEM Evinrude seals. It pressure tested fine. So, I'm not saying the sierra seals were the problem, but they looked fine before I removed them and the OEM seals did the trick. If I had a micrometer I could have measured to see if the OEM seals might have been a little tighter fit. I am getting a vacuum gage today and will vac test it before I reinstall.