Reed valve clicking?

Keyboardman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi all, while I was spraying Seafoam in the carbs on my '76 75hp Stinger I noticed that I'm hearing a clicking sound in the top cyl thru the carb. Also when spraying the Seafoam, that cyl will bog down without as much spray than the other two. I'm wondering if I may somehow have a damaged reed valve up there? Could a reed valve get sticky also and make a click? Thanks for any comments.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Never heard of that. But no, you didn't damage anything by spraying Sea Foam. And they never stick, at least not because of that. A submersion in salt water for a few days, maybe.

Keyboardman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Forgot to mention that when I was rebuilding the carbs I found there was an oversized SS jet in that carb. .033 instead of .032. So, something must be a little off with that cyl. Compression was 120 across the board when I checked before starting it up for the first time.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Those engines are hardly the silent type. they make a pile of noises even when everything is perfect

Bonaventure

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I don't think a 1/1000 oversize in a carb jet will affect much, the needle valve will compensate by being a fraction of a turn further in. Compression is really good for an engine that age.

Bonaventure

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Probably still won't matter much. Changing fixed jets is sometimes done to fine tune things.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Forgot to mention that when I was rebuilding the carbs I found there was an oversized SS jet in that carb. .033 instead of .032. So, something must be a little off with that cyl. Compression was 120 across the board when I checked before starting it up for the first time.

Some motors have different jetting for different cylinders, they also had service bulletins recommending changes for longer life on some motors. I have no idea if this exact motor had either of these.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Clicking sound ?---Top cylinder bogs down easier than others ?----Does a compression test show anything different for # 1 cylinder ?

Keyboardman

Petty Officer 1st Class
When I first checked out this engine the compression was 120 across the board. I'll go get a comp tester from Advance and recheck them all. This engine runs real strong once it gets past a bogging down in the midrange but, I may have found the problem with that. The wiring harness from the timer base was getting hung up in a hold down. I removed that and now the timer base will go all the way to the full advance stop. Checked timing also. Dead on 4 degrees below the actual timing using the Joe Reeves WOT timing procedure.

Last edited:

Keyboardman

Petty Officer 1st Class
I didn't think of that! Possibly a stuck ring? I guess I really need to check compression on that cyl again. I had the boat out yesterday and although it's a noisy engine, It ran strong all day long.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Get a mechanics stethoscope and probe around the motor when it's running.