'71 Johnson 20hp starter rope mechanism?

frazoo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi, I'm looking at this OB to buy, owner says the starter rope rewind mechanism shot. Should it be fixable, and what else should I be looking at?
Thanks,

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Wow, what question. You should be looking at the entire motor. Don't zero in on the starter---that is easy to fix. If you know nothing about outboards, you might consider having a qualified person look at it. OR, as they say, "You pays your money and you takes your chances"

frazoo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You're right for sure, but I've thrown $25 away on worse things. PO bought boat motor and trailer together for the jon boat. That PO told him it ran, but rope rewind mechanism broken. All the current owner wants is an electric trolling motor I have that I bought for $25 dollars ten years ago.
I guess a better question would be, are parts somewhat readily available for older outboards?
Thanks again,

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Looks like most (but not all) parts are pretty available. Seems like the rewind starter parts are available too, but if you don't want the trolling motor anyway, then I'd probably go for it..
​You'll want to do a compression test, spark test, and all the other "New to you" engine maintenance once you get it if you plan to run it, but I bet even if you end up parting it out, you'll make your 25 bucks back and then some.. lol

Here's a link to the available parts here on iBoats:
(Most parts look like they're for both the 20R71S AND the 20RL71S model numbers)
http://www.iboats.com/20R71S/dm/cart...iew_id.1532558

​You'll want to confirm the model number though to verify part availability, but I think these parts would be the right ones..

​Your call..

Last edited:

frazoo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks much, I'm duly forewarned and armed! :)
Might be good to learn on/with.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
For $25, it would be hard to go wrong. It's worth that for junk. I hate to say it, but junk is what I'd expect for $25. But, yes there are "finds" out there. Mabe this is your lucky day.