Exhaust Backfiring Question

I bought a Johnson 175hp maybe early to mid 90's. It won't start, 90psi all cylinders. Sprayed starter fluid in the carbs after cleaning. It wouldn't start, just loud backfire from the prop. I turned the flywheel by hand and when the 1 and 2 piston was all the way up the flywheel tdc was significantly past the pointer (about 2-3 inches past) so could I have a sheared key

racerone

Supreme Mariner
That would be the first thing to check.--And what does it show with only # 1 at TDC ??-----------Model # is ??

didn't check the model number but the flywheel has markings for #1 and #2...Both were same same 2-3 inches past the marks when pistons came all the way up feeling with a philips screwdriver

The fly key was gone so today I installed a new correct key, down torqued 110psi, checked tdc again, all was lined up. Sprayed a little starter fluid and she's still loud backfiring from the prop area. The plug wires and coil wires are next to each plug so am I still missing something. model # 175tl79r

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Answered in detail another forum..... wrong torque! Must be torqued (V6) to 145 foot pounds.