'82 'rude 140 - reseal gearcase

interalian

Commander
Dumped the oil yesterday as part of my annual pre-hardwater procedure. I'd run the boat around the lake for an hour before pulling it, and pulled the oil drain about an hour later. Nice milkshake. Last season I drained it after it had sat for a week and I got about a quarter inch of emulsified water on the bottom of a clear jar after it had settled, so the failure happend this summer. Probably only put 20 hours on it this season. Magnet had no particles on it at all (never has). I'm going to pull the leg this weekend and get ready to re-seal. Any pro tips? Should I fill it with fresh lube to prevent corrosion, or would the lube that's still clinging to all the parts protect them for a couple of months?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I would pull it apart tomorrow !------Or fill it with any oil to prevent corrosion.

interalian

Commander
No Title

I filled it with oil since I won't be getting to it anytime soon. But when I took the leg off, I found the exhaust adapter gasket was displaced. It's been like this since the rebuild. Wonder if it affects how it runs?

Attachments

• photo278801.jpg
    photo278801.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 0

interalian

Commander
Lucky I have another adapter with good gaskets. I'll use that when it goes back together rather than buy gaskets.