1984 Evinrude manual

Hondaboi

Cadet
Hello, New to your forum. I just picked up a 1987 Sunray bowrider with a 1984 Evinrude 70hp engine. I am looking for the repair/service manual for this engine. I have searched all over with minimal luck. Is there another year thats similar to the 1984 that would be easier to obtain?

Any help would be great.

Thanks!

Hondaboi

Cadet
Ok great, thank you! any links to a free download PDF version? or just try to find a hard copy?

Hondaboi

Cadet
I will give you a quick background on the boat, The boat is a 1987 Sunray Cavalier 15.5' boat has a Evinrude 70HP, owner who sold it to me said when he bought the boat off previous owner it was said the motor is a 1987, so thats what he thought it was, I found the model number on the side of the engine at it reads

V70CTTCRD from what I can make out.

I did a search and with that code it comes up a 1984, odd that there would be a older motor on the boat then the year of the boat,

Hondaboi

Cadet
An older motor on a newer boat happens all the time.

Ok cool, thought it was a bit odd that they told me its a 1987 engine on a 1987 boat, but modle code search proved that wrong. I will search for a 1979-1985 service/repair manual

CatTwentyTwo

Chief Petty Officer
I'm not sure if OMC made a manual specific for that motor back then. The manual I ordered for my 84 9.9 covers all models from 2hp thru the V-6 motors.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I think the 79 year has a manual dedicated to the 70 hp alone.----Essentially the same till the last 49 cube models ( 60 hp ) in 88 year.

Hondaboi

Cadet
So any Johnson/evinrude 70hp manual from 1979-1985 will be the same motor? Found some leads on original manuals and the 1985 service manual is the cheaper then the 1984. The guy im talking too has a large collection of OMC manuals

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Bargain at less than 1 hr labour at many shops !!!----I believe 1980 was the last year for manuals dedicated to one motor / model like yours.----The age of your motor has nothing to do with cost of manuals / parts or the labour to fix them.-----Shop time is all " brand new " so to speak.

Hondaboi

Cadet
Bargain at less than 1 hr labour at many shops !!!----I believe 1980 was the last year for manuals dedicated to one motor / model like yours.----The age of your motor has nothing to do with cost of manuals / parts or the labour to fix them.-----Shop time is all " brand new " so to speak.

This is true, shops can be crazy expensive. Thats why I like to do my own work. I can if I get the correct manual.

REN3G8

Petty Officer 3rd Class
87 Sunray Bowrider with an 84 70hp Johnson??? sounds like we have cousin boats. lol :)

Hondaboi

Cadet
87 Sunray Bowrider with an 84 70hp Johnson??? sounds like we have cousin boats. lol :)

haha ya looks like it!! just bought the boat a couple weeks ago, its getting colder in Toronto so its winterized, Trying to get stuff together over the winter to maintain the motor and work on it if need be.