1977 johnson hard to start

gossy

Cadet
hi, first post ! I have a 1977 200hp Johnson outboard that is hard to start, but once started it will continue to start for a full day of skiing ? So skiing weather is coming up ive been trying to get motor to start with no luck . have tested the power pack with test light, strong power going in very weak coming out to the coils ! does anyone know what voltage should be going to the coils ? cheers in advance

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
I'm not sure if that motor has a normal choke, or the primer solenoid, but make sure it works when you push in the key. My 1976 200 had a regular choke, not sure when they switched to the primer.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Try cdielectronics.com for ignition trouble shooting. Also just for the heck of it, check your compression.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Has the regular choke flappers.----Choke may need adjystment.----And 12 volts from battery is not used to make the spark.----Check starter and battery too.

gossy

Cadet
have done a compression test and was all good , new starter and battery, seems to be no power to coils on port and very low on starboard but ample on input side of power packs. wanting to test power packs output voltage to coils.not too keen on buying new ones to eliminate problem at this stage . thanks for reading

interalian

Commander
Spark test: need to jump 7/16" to 1/2" with good blue spark while cranking. Use an open gap test. If it's cranking too slowly it can't generate spark.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
^^Agree. Measure spark as described to test health of system. For cold starting, the choke flappers have to be tightly closed -- potential linkage issue as indicated earlier. I suggest removing the air silencer cover, and reaching in with your fingers to make sure the flappers fully close.

gossy

Cadet
cheers, will check spark and slow crank, starting to think slow crank may be the cause:D

interalian

Commander
Slow crank: check all battery cables are shiny and tight at both ends. If you use wingnuts on the battery, tighten with pliers not your fingers (unless you're the 6 Million Dollar Man and have bionic grip).

gossy

Cadet
connected second battery directly to starter with no joy, haven't got a spark tester as yet so fitted the timing light with still no joy.:mad-new:

spybot

Chief Petty Officer
Unplug the wiring harness from the boat to the engine Jump the starter and see if you get a spark.