1979 115 HP Evinrude sat for 10+ years...

Steam

Cadet
I just got gifted a 1979 17' Procraft bass boat with a 1979 Evinrude 115HP from my father who hasn't run the boat for over 10 years. I fixed up the trailer and drug her home. The gas tank has to be cleaned out because it is a very stale should I say varnishy smell to the olfactory senses. I am ordering an impeller kit to install. I would like some advice on what else you fine folks would recommend I do to this engine before I try to fire her for the first time in 10 years. Also, all of the carb rebuild kits I find say they apply to 1969, 1980-1995... Is there a carb kit for those years and then 1970-1979 is a different kit? Thanks for any help.

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hey Steam!

​Relatively new here myself... Welcome!

There's a write up in the FAQ section here about "Awakening a sleeping outboard".
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...rd-by-boatbuoy

​That'd probably be a good place to start anyway...
(EDIT: Although not mentioned in the above link, a compression test would be a good thing to do as well.. )

​Looks like your carb repair kit is here:
http://www.iboats.com/KIT-AY-CARB-RE...iew_id.1491805

​Seems to cover all the 1979 115's ,but check it out and make sure it's the right one for you,..

​Hope it helps, and you get to enjoy that rig soon!!

Last edited:

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Also check your spark to make sure it jumps a 7/16 " open air gap on a tester.

Steam

Cadet
Got the carb, fuel pump and impeller rebuild kits on the way along with a manual for the motor. Went to trim the motor up and it would go down but the contactor just clicked for the up. Decided to just use the wires for the trim to see if maybe I had a bad contactor. After some sparks of trial and error, it went down with two wires and up with black and blue. It has black, blue, and green going to the trim unit. The black and blue wires get quite hot trimming it up... and when I stop, it bleeds down slowly so I just put the lock bar down to hold it up. My goal was to test the trim and also get the motor carbs up so I could pull the plugs and squirt some oil in the cylinders before I try to spin it by hand per the Awakening a sleeping motor plan in the FAQs. I'm hoping the 1979 115HP evinrude manual will have a wiring diagram for the trim unit. I guess I need to put an ohmmeter across the contactor for the up direction. Does the slow bleed down mean the trim cylinder is shot? Should the wires get so hot when trimming? Suggestions anyone?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Before you get to deep into fixing things make sure it will run and that the motor is at least worth putting money into. So check the compression and make sure it will start, it doesn't need to run long, just fire a few times so you it will, then start rebuilding stuff. You said the carb rebuild kits are on the way, but you can spray some fuel in the carbs to see if it fire to see if they're even worth rebuilding at this point.

Steam

Cadet
At this point, the tank is out, the batteries are out, and the wiring is untested. Can I just hook the power to the motor, crank it over to compression test, then spray starting fluid into the carbs to test fire it like Ondarvr suggested? I am not ready to reinstall the on-board tank (gonna have to do some work to the resting place and glassed over wood it mounts to is in bad shape) and I don't have a little tank to use. I did soak the cylinders in oil for 2 days per the Awakening old motor post and it turns freely with no effort at all, so that was good news.

Steam

Cadet
Also, another question... The Steering Cable. The outer sheath is splitting and i can see the slightly rusted strands underneath but the steering turns freely and from the other posts on steering cable replacement, it looks like it's no fun if you don't have a lift. I was thinking on getting some sealant and sealing the cracking sheath and letting that ride for now. Do you think I really need to replace a steering cable that is functional but just looks bad in one spot by the motor?