Not A Good Idea - Rotating outboard instead of hoisting?

Projectus

Seaman Apprentice
Hello,
I need to gain clearance to remove two steering cables from the outboard.
Has anyone tried removing 3 of the 4 mounting bolts, and slightly loosening the 4th, and then rotating up the engine on that one bolt a couple inches? This would give me enough clearance to slide the rams out over the splashwell.
I'd definitely use some wood blocks for support, and rig a stop block above the lower unit, just in case it really tries to rotate quickly. It's a 150hp Evinrude, so it's not exactly light.
Anyone ever tried this in lieu of using a hoist?

Last edited:

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I’m sure a lot have tried. Whether they succeeded without an incident which resulted in damage or worse, an injury is not known. Doing what you suggest also makes it next to impossible to reseal the engine/transom/bolt holes properly

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I dunno, I had a hoist. You may be able to do it by makeshift means. On the other hand, the unexpected may happen and it may fall on you and break your leg. I strongly suggest safety first and rent, beg, borrow, or steal some sort of hoist. It doesn't have to be a fancy one.

Projectus

Seaman Apprentice
Jimmbo: That's a great point I hadn't thought of - not being able to reseal the mounting bolts. I would just be wiping it away when I rotated the motor back to its correct position.

F_R: I think I will just rent a hoist. When something as heavy as a 150hp engine suddenly gets new gravity and physics on it, I don't think there would be any time to react before who knows would/could happen. Plus, now that I've thought about it more, I'd be shoving and tugging on the boat, and my stop blocks would shift, and I'd have too many fingers mashed to call 911. Or the lower unit would come up and hit me in the chin.

(I should really just delete this whole thread and not give anyone any ideas!)

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
If anyone is thinking of trying this - This not a good idea. Changed the title too.

Now it can stay.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
On top of all the contrary points so far, if the stern bracket is sitting down on the transom top, I don't think the geometry can work anyway.

Projectus

Seaman Apprentice
This engine sits about 2" above the stern, because it's using the third highest position of 4 available mounting bolt holes. The geometry would work, and provide the needed clearance, but the danger is in gravity. If this was a safe technique, we'd all be doing it. It's not a safe technique.

Keyboardman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Buy an engine hoist at Harbor Freight for $100 and do it right. I had to help a guy a couple of weeks ago who thought he could just block up his 70hp and tilt the trailer from under it. Worked good until it slid off the blocks and hit the ground. Good thing for him I had the hoist to get it back on his boat.