96 faststrike 175 javelin 389

Tmtjc

Cadet
While running to next fishing spot yesterday i went though some choppy water from ski boats at 50mph and boat immediately lost power and stopped. It will crank right back up and idle fine even rev up in neutral no problem but when i put in gear and apply throttle it has nothing there and boggs dwn with anything more than idle speed. I thought something maybe came loose in the rough water so i checked plug wires and all connections and everything is fine. Could it have skipped timing or such? Im stumped cause it idles perfect. Ive never had this issue before. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank yall in advanced!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Not likely a timing issue.-----Do this check.---Look for spark that jumps a gap of 3/8" or more on the 6 leads.----Is timer base rotating ?

Tmtjc

Cadet
Timer base is rotating. Not sure what you mean about the spark jumping a gap.

Tmtjc

Cadet
Today i have checked everything i can think of. Checked every single electrical plug and hose. This motor is clean and has no signs of something coming loose or broke. No cracks or leaks anywhere. It cranks right up and idles normal just sounds like its being choked out when it tries to accellerate in gear even with airbox off. Hopefully someone has an idea cause im stumped! Shops are booked for 3-4 weeks and im ganna miss the fishing ive been waiting all summer for.

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Jumping a gap means use an adjustable spark gap tester (available cheap at most auto part stores).
​Set the gap at 3/8 inch (as racerone stated) and make sure the spark is crisp, blue, and really snaps..
​Do this on each cylinder to verify good spark...

​Now,
I am NOT an expert here whatsoever, but had a crazy thought that is most likely wrong, but.. lol

​Any chance through that rough water, that the lower came out of the water, sucked air or whatever, and the water pump impellor failed or was compromised?
​Tell-tale working?

​I guess what I mean, is the engine running hot now or overheating?
Could that cause it to limit itself to just over idle on you?
You said it'll rev up in neutral, so probably not...

​Total stretch on that, and of course listen to the others over me on this, but it just crossed my mind...

​For whatever that might be worth, if anything.. lol

Tmtjc

Cadet
Thank u for your response. The waterpump seems good as it has steady stream when running still. Never overheated on me either. But i will check into the spark issue tomorro. Maybe it was just ironic it failed when in rough water but i will find about yhe spark.

Tmtjc

Cadet
I did the spart gap test and found one cylinder had no spark, ordered new coil. Checked compression on all cyl and 100-110 on all 6. Hope this is it. Just surprised that it wouldnt have any power except at idle with only 1 cyl dwn.

Tmtjc

Cadet
Ok got new coil in today, installed it but same issue except now both lower cylinders have no spark. So i swapped out one of the good coils and still no spark. Guess i should have done this before i bought a new one but oh well. From what i can see it looks like the 2 smaller leads for each coil come from what i think is the powerpack thats behind the 3 coils. Is it common for this power pack to lose only 2 cylinders while the other 4 spark great? Ive ran out of daylight so ganna check more tomoro evening. Any advise on what voltage to look for on the leads or anyway of testing this power pack would be greatly appreciated before i buy one. Was hoping for the cheap 38$ coil to be the culprit but hey i havnt won the lottery yet either...

Tmtjc

Cadet
I took all coils off tonite and removed the powerpack. I did just a simple continuity test on coils and found something odd. 2 coils checked same numbers from coil lead to plug wire lead but on the third coil one side checked almost dbl the numbers on my meter. Other side was same as other 2 coils. Guessing this is abnormal? So i put it all back together to dbl check i was getting same spark/lack of as before i did this test. Results were the same as before. Could my bad powerpack possibly of damaged my coils?