'83 Evinrude 35hp piston replacement

JF3LiX

Recruit
Hello. I'm a new new member but have browsed this site several times for info successfully. Wasn't able to find much on my next project however.

Going to bring an Evinrude 35 back to life hopefully. What I know so far is it will need pistons and rings. I have yet to remove the powerhead and get a good look at the cylinder. I thought I may have noticed scoring on the walls with my bore scope. Head will be off soon.

I need some guidance from you all. I'm mechanically inclined and confident in doing the work. I have rebuilt many automotive engines throughout my career and have a fair amount of experience with 2 strokes as well.

So, once I get in there and see that the cylinder is scored. Is there a piston 'kit' I can buy that comes with the correct honing tool? Believe it or not I found a nice kit on Amazon (I know) but did not come with a brush. The kit did have options for .030/.020/ or OEM. Would one of you know where I can get a brush specific for this engine?

I'll leave it at that for now. I'm sure I'll have more questions along the way. In return I'll be documenting and try to include pictures of the build for future reference to others.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

If the motor need oversized pistons, a hone won't work to increase the bore unless you have a few centuries to waste. Oversize pistons require the cylinder/s be bored out.

Any auto parts store has hones for bore deglazing, which is what their purpose is.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
If no rebore is needed, you will, as mentioned, need to deglaze the bores, just don't try to use the Flex-Hone ball deglazers/hones. They tend to do serious damage to the ports in a two stroke