1998 Johnson Rectifier Replacement

DIYMike

Recruit
Replacement rectifier, OMC part number 586271, matches part number of old part, but wiring is different. Old part has purple wire, new part does not. My understanding is the purple wire is for accessories and should be getting voltage from battery. The purple wire does route to the stator through the wiring connectors from the rectifier. My first thought was to leave unconnected, maybe I don't need it? I'd appreciate any experience anyone has with this issue. My manual doesn't cover missing purple wire from rectifier. I need a newer manual. Thanks

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Maybe not your issue, but replacement rectifiers typically come with yellow wires and one red wire -- red is positive connection routed to battery, but yellows are interchangeable with the earlier striped wires. (Current flow is from the rectifier to the battery through the charge wire, not the other way around.)

DIYMike

Recruit
OldBoat, Yes, new part has yellow, yellow/gray, gray and red wires, but no purple. Would have been nice if the part had come with some reference to the difference since part numbers are the same. I've ordered an updated manual/CD off ebay. It will be a week before it gets to me. Sure wanted to get this done this weekend, but hate to install the new part in the event I need to return it. Thanks

DIYMike

Recruit
Ok, I found a post on another forum that addressed this issue. The response was,,,

"The purple wire was used to tell the regulator that the motor was running. The new regulator does not need it. you just need to tape the purple wire back to the motor harness. I have been down this road before." as stated by member FishTexas on The Hull Truth forum.

Well, that's what I'm going to do. Update to follow.