Champion 828-1 vs 828M plugs?

62Scout

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Going to put new plugs in my Johnson 85hp V4. I see most of the application charts say to use the QL77JC4 plug, which appears to cross reference to the 828M plugs (which I also see referenced here often). I also found one page that listed the 828-1 plug as a cross, and looking at Champion's web site, they appear to be identical in all regards to the 828M, including being listed as a QL77JC4 plug type and a Q-type inductive suppresor. More importantly, they're available today, on the shelf at my local parts store, whereas the 828M is a special order item.

Is there some reason I shouldn't be running the 828-1 plugs? I'm wondering if it's just one of those things where a part number was slightly changed for one specific vendor/reseller...

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
The Champion QL77JC4 spark plug is the recommended plug via OMC and Bombardier... Why would anyone wish to deviate from that?

62Scout

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

Because Champion shows 3 different part numbers for the QL77JC4 plug??????

Attachments

• photo277479.jpg
    photo277479.jpg
    381.6 KB · Views: 3

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Strange..... I started out with OMC in 1960. Thirteen years later, the Capacitance Discharge Discharge ignition came into being with the spark plug at that time being recommended in most engines was the Champion QL77JC4, gaped at .040. In the past 44 years I have not ever heard any mention of the 828 spark plug being an alternative for any reason. I am curious as to its purpose as it's obviously listed in the photo you supplied.

62Scout

Petty Officer 3rd Class
That's straight off Champion's website. When I put QL77JC4 into the search bar, those three are what comes back. 828-1, 828M, and 828S are all Champion part numbers. I initially just assumed it was a new numbering scheme, similar to what I found with NGK a few years back. I had always run NGK TR55 plugs in my LT1, but now none of the parts houses can look that up. Now I have to ask for NGK 3951 plugs.

This initially started when I found marineengine.com, that had a ton of listings for spark plugs, and lists a Mercury Quicksilver 33-828S as the OEM plug for a Johnson 85hp, and a Champion 828M as the aftermarket plug for the motor. There was some other place that I found the 8281 plug also listed for a Johnson 85hp, at which point I went to Champion's website to see what the difference between those two were, and then found the 3rd plug number as well. On the specifications page for each of those three, they're all listed as "Plug type - QL77JC4". That's why I'm guessing it's just different part numbers for different vendors.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Very interesting, thank you. It would also be interesting to have them all side by side for comparison.

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I actually picked up some QL77JC4's at my local Walmart a while back...
​The packaging on it, has both "QL77JC4" and "828-1" printed on the package..

QL77JC4_Package.jpg

​For what it's worth... lol

F_R

Supreme Mariner
My wild guess (probably wrong) is that the different suffixes refer to some minor differences such as factory gap settings.

Yeah, it seems like all plug mfrs are changing their numbering system. Bad part is that sometimes the interchange number is wrong. I found that with my Dodge truck. Had to go to the Dodge dealer to get the right ones.