Evinrude 9.9 Cam Roller Issues

Country Joe

Cadet
I found a picture of my 84 9.9, this is what the cam plate and roller look like when lined up. The throttle should just start to move at this point.

At this point is the cam roller touching the cam plate? The reason I ask this is, I have the same motor (with a 15 hp carb) and my roller still has a small gap between the roller and cam plate when lined up.

Country Joe

Cadet
Sorry for the double post, us old guys can't get our finger off the keys fast enough!

Last edited:

Bluewater84

Petty Officer 2nd Class
At this point is the cam roller touching the cam plate? The reason I ask this is, I have the same motor (with a 15 hp carb) and my roller still has a small gap between the roller and cam plate when lined up.

I think you should be able to adjust your roller closer to the plate using the small adjustment screw attached to the roller. Clockwise to tighten and counter to loosen. OM repair has a great video on you tube on adjusting the linkage on this motor.

Bluewater84

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sorry OM Fishing. It's labeled 9.9 linkage synchronization. Type that in on YouTube and it should be the first or second video.

CatTwentyTwo

Chief Petty Officer

Hi Joe, going by the manual, you are supposed to clip a "throttle amplifier" on the the throttle shaft and then turn the hex screw until you can just see the tip of the amplifier begin to move. The amplifier is in the first picture and the adjusting screw is in the second.

P4140004.JPG P4140010.JPG

CatTwentyTwo

Chief Petty Officer
Ok thanks! I'll check that out. Any of y all know where I could get a replacement pin for the tiller handle? In my previous post, I posted a pic of my tiller handle with some jerry rigged zip ties and a piece of copper holding it in place. That's about the only busted piece on the motor.

It's looks like a taper pin that holds the gear to the shaft. If you can't find a selection of small taper pins, it might be easier to drill it out and use a roll pin.

Bluewater84

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Jealous of that clean that thing looks 22! How would I got about disassembling the shaft to get to it? Ive tried taking the screw out of the handle with no luck. I'm not sure if I need to have it set in a certain position or if the screw is just seized up in there. Any pics of where the pin goes or how to replace it would be much appreciated. Thanks for all the help!

Country Joe

Cadet
Hi Joe, going by the manual, you are supposed to clip a "throttle amplifier" on the the throttle shaft and then turn the hex screw until you can just see the tip of the amplifier begin to move. The amplifier is in the first picture and the adjusting screw is in the second.

This is why I love this site! The motor I'm working on was my father-in-laws prior to his death, (l984 Evinrude 9.9 updated with the 15 HP carb) it sat in the shed for almost seven years, I pulled it out this spring, changed the lower gear oil, new water pump, rebuilt the carb, new plugs, after this ran in tub for initial testing, since have had it to the lake a few times, the last trip was when I noted it did not seem to accelerate as I felt it should. After reviewing comments on this site, and a lot of reading, decided it was a synchronization issue between timing and fuel. Following the steps outlined in this post began said procedure, that is when I noted the roller carrier was in two pieces, purchased and installed a new one today. As outlined in the picture, made a "throttle amplifier" and synchronized the throttle.
Will take to lake Thursday or Friday to test. Thanks to all, this posting could not have came at a better time. Again Thanks to Al!!

CatTwentyTwo

Chief Petty Officer
Jealous of that clean that thing looks 22! How would I got about disassembling the shaft to get to it? Ive tried taking the screw out of the handle with no luck. I'm not sure if I need to have it set in a certain position or if the screw is just seized up in there. Any pics of where the pin goes or how to replace it would be much appreciated. Thanks for all the help!

Like I mentioned before, my motor is an 84 model so I hope I'm not leading you astray. You might just have to pull harder and work it a bit to get the twist grip off. I took the screw out of mine this morning and the handle is spring loaded and I had to hold onto it to keep it from flying off as the screw was released.
It might be a good idea though to take the tiller back off the motor and see how hard it is to twist just to make sure the binding is in the grip and not the motor.

Here's a picture of the small side of the pin in the gear, it's driven in from the other side. Above the grease fitting is a c-clip the holds the shaft in. If you get the twist grip off and remove the c-clip, you can pull the shaft out and get everything cleaned and greased up good. It will probably be easier with the shaft out to do whatever you have to do to replace the pin.

Good luck.

P9200006.JPG

Bluewater84

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ah I see the pin now thanks. All of that junk in the way of mine I couldn't see it. Seems to be the exact same setup. Will any pin to or does it need to be a roller pin. Could I get one of those at Lowe's or would I have to order one? I plan on taking the handle off before I continue. Also, what is the function of the spring? In order to turn my handle I have to push in for the teeth to match up before I can rotate it. Should this be tight or is the play needed to make sure I don't break something?

CatTwentyTwo

Chief Petty Officer
I'm not sure what the spring is for but it doesn't have much to do with pushing the handle in. The pinned gear and c-clip lock the shaft in place, I can only push mine in about a 32'nd of an inch. It sounds like the backside of your gear is very worn and maybe your missing the c-clip?
I imagine you can get a roll pin at any hardware store.

Bluewater84

Petty Officer 2nd Class
yeah its got tons of play. I didn't think it was supposed to have that much. I think the zip ties are acting as the c-clip. Do you have a link for the proper c-clip? Or can I also get that at Lowe's? Wasn't sure if it was a specific one. I think that would resolve the issue or at least tighten it up some.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Your throttle shaft gear is worn out. The ball gear tips should be noticeably longer. The shaft and gear come as an assembly. The zip tie was likely there to attempt to push the gears closer together for more engagement.

Bluewater84

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Your throttle shaft gear is worn out. The ball gear tips should be noticeably longer. The shaft and gear come as an assembly. The zip tie was likely there to attempt to push the gears closer together for more engagement.

So I basically just need to replace the entire shaft is what your sayin. It runs on the water fine right now. The cheapest tiller handle setup i could find was like $60-70. I may just wait then. Thanks!