Swapping lower units

bob880

Seaman
Good morning,

So i recently bought an old Larson tri hull boat and it has a 73 Johnson 115 hp on her that the lower unit has basically rotted away. With the boat i was also given a 73 60 hp Johnson which is in perfect running order. My question is are these lower units able to be swapped or do i have to take gears out of one and put them into the other?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
since there was no 60hp in 73, a 60hp gear case that looks like similar is not going to swap. Totally different shift system

bob880

Seaman
I figured that it couldn't be that easy. forgive my ignorance when it comes to this can i use the current lower unit parts and put them into the other lower unit housing?
I'll have to check the date on that. The housings are identical bolt patterns and all.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
?----It simply can not be done !!----You are wasting your time on this project.

bob880

Seaman
Thanks for the help guys. I'm going to have to bite the built and by a lower unit or a different motor!

bob880

Seaman
Sorry got caught up in life. I swapped the motor for another hunk of crap that runs. Put a Chrysler 135 on her. just need to put the trim motor together (find the right parts for it)