1980 70 hp evinrude no WOT

danorte

Cadet
I have a 70 hp evinrude. It will not accelerate the last 1/4 th throttle. No WOT. It has low hours. Compression is 118,118,118. I have put in new plugs, checked fuel filter on pump. Replaced 6 gal tank. Cleaned carbs. The only change is better idle and better acceleration. No real bog till speed is about 26mph. last throttle does nothing but bog. If I roll back the throttle a bit it continues all day at 26. When looking at carb linkage it only occurs on the last ? step of the throttle control. I have new pump on the way but anything else you can think of. Caveats. I am 2hr from nearest lake to try results. Last two times no WOT. Oh also replaced prop with spare of smaller pitch. Boat is 18 ft Aluminum cabin cruiser Lonestar Eldorado. Weighs 1700 with out me. Ok. folks help me fix this.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Put a tach on it you want to be about 5500 rpm. Does the speed drop off on the last 1/4 of throttle? Also double check the link and sync you could be over rotating the carb butterflies. 26 Mph is a good speed for that combo.

danorte

Cadet
Well, durn you are correct.. The carb butterflies are over rotating. Now what is the best way to correct this? I will research. Thank you for the direction to look. danorte