Oil pressure on 70 hp evinrude

Lakeliver

Cadet
I have recently been having the low pressure alarm activate on my 2001 70 hp 4 stroke evinrude. Installed a pressure gauge and it is showing 64 pounds of pressure at 2500-3800 rpms (what I normally run at). I am waiting on a service manual to arrive but in the mean time, can anyone tell me what the operating oil pressure of this motor should be? Thanks.

Lakeliver

Cadet
Thanks. I changed the sending unit switch (I assume that is the switch you are speaking of) before buying and installing the pressure gauge. I just need to know if 64 pounds of pressure is adequate. Thanks, again. Motor sounds good, starts quickly. Runs strong, but that low oil pressure alarm did its job and alarmed me. The system may need to be 80 pounds and maybe 64 is low. I just don't know.

Lakeliver

Cadet
A followup on the oil pressure problem I was having with the 2001 70 hp evinrude 4 stroke. I have continued to run it and it holds the 64 pound oil pressure, but the alarm still goes off after about 30 minutes, says I have no oil, and slows the engine. I wait a minute, then take off again. If I change that gauge in the dash, which says I have no oil, will this problem go away. The gauge costs $112.00, which I will gladly pay if this will take care of it, but don't want to throw money away if this is not the problem. Any thoughts from anyone. Thanks.

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Not an expert here at all, but it seems to me, that changing the gauge probably won't solve the problem.
​If indeed, you have the right amount of oil in the engine, and you have proper oil pressure, then the problem is somewhere in that circuit.
​Could be the sender (which you replaced it seems), the gauge, the wiring, or the ECU (if so equipped...)

​Maybe an intermittent short somewhere in the wiring that's triggering the oil alarm?
​The reason I'm thinking it's not the gauge, is I don't think a faulty gauge would cause the SLOW condition you spoke of. Gauges are usually just an indicator. Not decision makers. (to turn on SLOW)..
​To me, that would be indicative of an issue between (and inclusive of) the sender, and the ECU (or whatever controls the alarm and SLOW mode)

​Heck I could be wrong... lol Like I said, not an expert..

​I guess I'd be looking at the whole system (wires, connections etc...) and try to find where the real problem is before spending that kind of money on a gauge not knowing what the problem really is.....

​Probably not a whole lot of help there, but that's my thoughts...

​For whatever that might be worth... lol :)

Lakeliver

Cadet
I appreciate the thought process. I am not an expert either. I did change sender, and placed a copper T in the system, so I could have the oil pressure gauge and the SLOW system. If not for the gauge, the thing would be parked, but seeing 60+ oil pressure even when the system says I have no oil, allows me to continue using it. I did change oil and filter, and assured level was correct. Made sure I had the right oil and a Suzuki filter, which the Evinrude guy I bought the oil from said was better. I will check, as you have suggested for connections, wires, etc. I appreciate the input.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
I have recently been having the low pressure alarm activate on my 2001 70 hp 4 stroke evinrude. Installed a pressure gauge and it is showing 64 pounds of pressure at 2500-3800 rpms (what I normally run at). I am waiting on a service manual to arrive but in the mean time, can anyone tell me what the operating oil pressure of this motor should be? Thanks.

should see about 50 psi at idle and around 70-80psi at WOT.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
There might be two pressure senders, one for the instrument, the other for the ECU, or ECM.

Lakeliver

Cadet
There might be two pressure senders, one for the instrument, the other for the ECU, or ECM.

I received my new repair manual which may show me if there is a second sender, so will check this out. Thanks a lot.