1993 Evinrude 120 Looper V4 Won't stay running

Fishin Blues

Cadet
I just sold a 93 V4 120 Ocean Pro to a guy the other day. Fired it up and ran it for about 10 15 minutes while he was here. He was happy with what he heard and we took the motor off the boat, using a fork lift and a sling set the motor in his truck and off he went. He texted me tonight and said he can't keep the motor running unless he covers the Carburetors with his hands. The carbs were all just rebuilt and like I said the motor was running just fine before we took it off the boat. He said he can see the gas flowing into the carbs as it first starts but unless he covers the carbs with his hands the engine won't continue running.

Any ideas as to why now the motor won't stay running?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
May have had some junk in the carbs that got into the high speed jets.

Fishin Blues

Cadet
Well him and I was thinking the same thing and he took the bowls off and sprayed down the carbs, and he can see the gas shooting from the carbs, but it won't stay running. Unless like I said, he covers the carbs with his hands. As soon as he removes his hands it dies out.

Fishin Blues

Cadet
as far as I know it's fairly fresh as he had a 175 that just went south on him a week ago

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
So the last motor that ran this same fuel died last week?

Fishin Blues

Cadet
As far as I know but I am not a 100% on that. He was out fishing and coming back in across the bay the last motor locked up on him. It was a 175 that he bought used from somebody, but I don't know all the particulars of it.