Power Pack Problems

Trains1938

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1968 65 hp Johnson and it keeps blowing the charge compositor in the power pack preventing the engine starting. Can anybody out there tell me what is going on with this motor?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Check your wiring as this is a BCD system. A bad tach can backfeed 12V thru grey wire and damage it and if coil is bad it can spike a impulse back into pulse pack....

Trains1938

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks Faztbullet for the come back. I am new to this, so not sure what a BCD system is. As for the tach, I don't have one.

TN-25

Chief Petty Officer
I believe that 'BCD' stands for Battery, Coil, Distributor. You have a battery powered ignition system much like a car on that motor, rather than a magneto type. There is a power / pulse distributor under the flywheel and breaker points. That year only the 100 horse was breakerless. Your V4 motor, being a 1968 65-horse, should also use surface-gap plugs.

Since you don't have a tach, I interpret Faztbullet's response to be that it could also be a bad coil sending an impulse back to the pulse pack.
Checking the BRP site it appears that the actual power / pulse distributor is no longer available, nor is the coil or the amplifier. The nerve, after 49 years....

Because those parts are obsolete then iBoats and / or BRP won't carry them. If you really need to get any of those parts, try Laing's Outboard Parts to see what used parts they may have. Assuming you want to 'throw' parts at it. Before that though, lets see if anyone else here has a suggestion.