Electronic Ignition Conversion Kit

Trains1938

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1968 65 hp Johnson motor. It has duel points ignition system and I want to convert it to an Electronic system. I ran across a conversion kit on this on this forum. The link they provided does not work any more. The link was www.2slerranarine.com/catlog_a...a_8024_159.pdf. Does anybody know where I can find a conversion kit for this 1968 motor?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Been doing this for 35+ years and only conversions I know of are for pulse pack.....

82rude

Rear Admiral
To add to Faztbullet reply ive looked also a few years ago and only found small engine and auto conversions.You have a proven reliable system now, why fool with it?Parts are still easily had and simple to work on.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
a 1968 engine would already have a CD ignition, triggered by points. Gap of the points, 0.010" for used points, and 0.012" for new points. As already mentioned, why mess with a good system?

Trains1938

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi guys thanks for the come back, jimmbo, the real reason that I would like to do away with the points is that my motor repair person will not work on something that old. 82rude, He also told me that this system is not reliable. I have checked on points and they are real expensive. So I thought that I would do away with them if I could. The boat repair shop that use told me that you need a special tool to set the points, that is a another reason that I wanted to get rid of them.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
If your repair shop/mechanic won't work on a system that has service data available, what makes you think it/he will suddenly want to work on a homemade system? One of the "special Tools" that can be used to adjust the points is called a Feeler Gauge.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
We used to use "shade tree mechanic" techniques and points are so easy to deal with that we used 2 X thickness of a matchbook to set them close enough to work.

Points are that forgiving of being off on gap.

The actual correct setting for points is based on "dwell" and you need a tach/dwell meter to set that. The gap setting gets you to close enough to run. (and is often just left there and works fine)

Any mechanic that doesn't want to deal with your engine with OEM equipment = find a new mechanic.

Trains1938

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi guys, jimmbo no one is suggesting a "home made system". I don't consider a conversion kit by a manufacture to be a home made system. fhhuber, scott, I think you guy's are right I think I will look around for a new mechanic or work on it myself. The only problem with working on it myself is that I don't have the experience as far as the electrical system goes.