Neutral Slide Bar does not clear detent on OMC remote control

cgraeser

Cadet
First, a huge thanks to you all. We bought our boat (1993 Chris Craft Concept 186 with 1993 Evinrude 140) a few weeks ago. It's a bit of a project, but seemed like the right boat for the right price. This forum has been a real help on the projects I've done so far (replace water pump, clear out telltale hole) and I really appreciate it.

Next up is my sticky remote. I've read the posts on this topic, and am in the middle of replacing the cables and lubing the unit. However, I noticed that the red neutral slide does not retract all the way up into the housing when the handle is squeezed, remaining with a little portion of the end hanging down into the neutral detent, which could well be contributing the the difficulty in shifting out of neutral. I'll post up a pic as soon as it gets light (and I get three posts in).

Has anyone experienced this? Do you see a downside to taking the belt sander to the end to trim it so it is flush with the housing when the lever is pulled in/up? I don't see anywhere that is obviously malformed or worn.

Thank you, I appreciate it.

Last edited:

cgraeser

Cadet
(post #2)

Hey, do I win some type of award for having signed up on this forum in 2002 and not making my first post until 2017? (back then I picked up an old Sea King and did a little work on it - replaced the floor- but eventually just gave it to a friend, who gave it to another friend of his)

cgraeser

Cadet
(post #3)

I've always had boats, but mostly small sailboats/canoes/kayaks without motors. I did have one sailboat with a 6 HP Evinrude. It just ran, I never did anything with it.

cgraeser

Cadet
No Title

Here is a picture. You can see how the red slide does not completely retract.

Attachments

• photo275212.jpg
    photo275212.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 0

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Remove the red handle and see if anything is binding it up don't lose the spring. Never had to grind one down to make it work.

cgraeser

Cadet
I went home at lunch and removed the red handle and gave it a try per FS' suggestion. No difference. Appears that there is a spring loaded ball and a round cam with cutouts for the ball. The cutout at neutral looks like it may be a little worn, allowing the ball to go farther in and making it difficult to move. I will try to clean and lube it and see where that gets me.

Thank you FS

cgraeser

Cadet
Last night I went ahead and pulled out the detent ball and springs. I wasn't prepared for the rest of everything to come tumbling out, but I did finally get it all back together. That was the issue - the detent hole for the ball is so worn that the ball goes too far in, making it really difficult to pop back down. I lubed everything up and put it back together and it seems to work fine. I still need to get throttle cable attached and adjusted. I was considering getting some softer springs to lighten up the action a little, but honestly I might just leave it as is if the neutral slide bar does its job.

How stiff is the action supposed to be on these? I back off the tension screw and as I mentioned lubed everything up really good, but it still takes more effort than I would have expected (no cables attached).