57 fd11 gearbox

Johnson 57

Recruit
When I get to about 1/2 throttle engine speeds up like it came out of gear. Put all new seals in gearbox, gears looked good but linkage in bottom seems to be a little loose. Any thoughts on what might be causing it to come out of gear

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Just finishing my first year of owning a boat, so I'm new.. lol

​I had the same symptoms on mine.. Different engine, but in my case it was cavitation of the prop. Engine revved, but stopped accelerating when almost on plane..
​It didn't come out of gear, but it was basically like the tires of your car breaking loose and doing a burnout.. LOL

​Adjusting the manual trim of mine fixed it.

​I ONLY mention this because you said "like it came out of gear"....
​So do you know if it really did come out of gear?

Just a thought.. I'm not an expert by any means..

​For what it might be worth... :)

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Several things it could be....

If it's a smooth "has bite, now it doesn't" kind of thing, it could be ventilation (like jbuote described above) or it could be the prop hub slipping. Your propeller has an inner hub and an outer hub, joined by a rubber sleeve. That sleeve is designed to slip if you hit something. Over time, the rubber can deteriorate to the point where just putting a load on the prop will allow it to slip. A mark across the propeller and prop nut with a Sharpie, followed by a running test to see if the marks are still aligned can tell you if it's the hub.

If it's a violent "ka-chunk" kind of coming out of gear, I'd lean towards a clutch dog going bad. The dog is the part that engages the gears to the propshaft. As it wears, the lugs get rounded over, allowing them to slip past the mating lugs on the gears. Each time it slips out, it then slips back in with a transom-shaking thunk.

Johnson 57

Recruit
Chinewalker you you were right, the prop hub was spinning inside the prop. I put the old one back on and no more problems. Thanks to you & jbuote for the replies they were very helpfull.