can anyone help me me with my 1956 johnson rde 18 30hp motor?

rustyjames

Cadet
hello, i have a 30 horsepower 1956 (model number rde 18) Johnson outboard motor and it recently quit pissing out water so after some reading n watching youtube i found out that if it wasnt clogged that its probably the water pump/impeller. my question is can anybody tell me which kit is the one i need to fix this specific motor? thanks

rustyjames

Cadet
thanks n yep i figured out which impeller it needs. just cant figure out which water pump kit to buy. i figure if im gonna change out the impeller i mids as well buy the whole kit with it already in the kit.

Last edited:

rustyjames

Cadet
I figured out that its. OEM water pump repair kit 0379774 but when i looked it seems a lil steep for a kit when im seeing the same looking kits. By sierra for 30 To 50 bucks.does anybody know if sierra makes a kit thatll fit?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
I don't believe they do. Unless the housing is clearly worn or grooved, I'd just replace the impeller and be done with it. I rarely need to replace the housing on those.

rustyjames

Cadet
So i ordered an impeller n i went to start disconnecting the shifter but Can anybody tell me how to get the shaft that connects to the shifter unhooked so i can drop my lower unit to beable to get to the impeller? Also does anybody know if i will need a gasket to close it up without having leaks?

rustyjames

Cadet
I removed the 2 bolts but when i went to pull on it.it feels like is still connected and it wont release it...

rustyjames

Cadet
Or..do i disconnect it when i undo the bolts that hold in the lower unit.on one video i seen there was a bolt just on the inside when he lowered the lower unit to pull it out

lindy46

Captain
Remove only the lower bolt from the shift rod connector. It is located in the little window on the side of the leg. Remove the access cover and it is inside. Remove the bolts which hold the lower unit to the leg. The lower unit should now drop down. If it doesn't, the top of the driveshaft may be stuck in the powerhead. There is an o-ring at the top of the driveshaft which keeps water from getting up into the crank. If that has been omitted/damaged, water may have gotten up there and formed rust.

lindy46

Captain
Glad all the pieces are there! Replace it and you should be good to go.

rustyjames

Cadet
do you normally have to drain the gear oil to do this? for some reason the shaft isnt going down enough for me to get the top of the impeller housing to screw down?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
No -- don't have to drain gear oil. It sounds like you pulled the driveshaft out of the gear case -- can be reinserted. Try turning the shaft a bit and/or turning the prop.

rustyjames

Cadet
ok so i got the new impeller installed today and at first for a few second i had a tiny bit of mist pissing out n then nothing. so i took it back apart attempted it again n still no water pissing out...anybody have any recommendations on where to go from here?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
If it were mine, I would pull off the l.u. again and do a couple of things. Test out impeller operation in a tub of water, just to be sure (can turn the shaft manually clockwise with a hand drill, and make sure you get a flow out of the water tube grommet in the housing). Then I would find a way to pump water up the tube through the powerhead -- hose with the male end of a quick release can work, maybe with a piece of tubing. See where the water exits. Probe up the exhaust port in the leg (wire clothes hanger or something), and see if there is a blockage. Think wasp or mouse nests.

If it's a salty or a river runner, there may be salt or sand blocking a passage. You might clean it out with the manual flushing, but may have to remove the head cover and clean the passages -- maybe the exhaust cover as well.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
The water pump is NOT self priming, meaning that it must be submerged in the water. Use a large plastic trash can.

Have the water level approximately 3 or 4 inches above the joint where the lower unit bolts up to the long exhaust housing.

rustyjames

Cadet
ok so ive been testing in a big plastic trashcan n i made sure its well above where it sucks in water.motors only been in freshwater.it seems almost like its revving higher than normal.