1988 70 ho Johnson no spark

Lilnewf85

Recruit
I got this on a trade so don't know much about it. I have no spark in all three plugs. Brought it to a mechanic who said it was all leading to power pack. Replaced power pack and still no spark. Turns over great. Any ideas where to start?

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Find amphenol connector at power pack and jump all wires that are not blk/yel. Leaves blk/yel open. Do you now have spark?

Lilnewf85

Recruit
what do you mean by "jump all the wires" ? wouldn't it be easier to disconnect black/yellow wire? can I disconnect that wire from control box or does it have to be from connecter at power pack?

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
You can make jumpers.

You can disconnect wire harness and jump starter.

You can disconnect blk/yel from key switch.

You can pull carefully blk/yel out of connector. I have special amphenol tools to reinsert them, you could probably use some fine needle nose and isopropyl to reinstall.

No matter which way you go next step is to try for spark with the blk/yel open.

Lilnewf85

Recruit
I disconnected yel/blk wire from key switch still no spark. Tried pull starting with big red plug disconnected and still no spark. What else can I do?

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
You will need a manual. You need resistance and peak voltage values from stator and timer base windings. As mentioned above, cdi electronics .com has a good trouble shooting page. Find your motor there and perform tests, ask here for clarification