Johnson 28 HP stalling when warm at idle

8928hpj

Cadet
Hello, New to the forum. I'm having an issue with my 1989 Johnson 28hp spl. Model Number is J28eslcea. I thought i had a fuel delivery problem but i have ruled that out by running a a different tank with the same results.. so far i have replaced the fuel pump fuel lines fuel tank and primer bulb and lines all so all new fuel lines under the cowling and those were clamped tight all so replaced the primer solenoid and lines for that. Rebuilt and cleaned the carb on it twice just to be sure it was clean. ive all so replaced plugs wires and coil packs so thats all new but i am still having this issue.. it doesnt do it all the time either. i took the boat to lake ontario last month and trolled 8 hours a day for 5 days along with 6 miles each way out and back to fishing grounds and the thing didnt stall once.. i come home from the trip and go fishing near my house and it started doing it again.. problem goes like this..
cold start it starts right up and idles beautiful doesnt miss a beat then i'll go wot for a few and start trolling sometimes it will troll an hour sometimes 10 min then all of a sudden it will just start stalling. starts right back up with no effort i'll put it in gear and blub blub shuts down start it back up and try again sometimes it goes away sometimes i have to reel up and head in because i cant get it to troll again.. its intermediate which is the worst kind of problem to have. I can't seem to figure this out.. plugs look good when i pull them not fouled or wet its like when it warms up my stator acts up or the ignition module acts up.. I just know its not fuel because the whole system is new at this point.. Throwing parts at it and not solving the problem is getting old. :(
I ordered my whole ignition plate with stator ignition module and charge coil im thinking its one of those components.
I guess my question is can an ignition module or stator cause it to stall at idle but not at wot? again it runs fine at wot just wont idle when its warm but the tricky part is it doesn't do it every time it gets warm and it never does it when its cold.. if i just replace the whole ignition plate with all the ignition components on it will i have to retime it? The flywheel is keyed so im hoping i wont throw it off time by swapping these parts. anti siphon valve is good ane im 100% positive theres not a carb issue because it runs so so good when its cold.. Last but not least my compression check came out at 110 on each cylinder so its not that..

Please if anyone has an idea that i havent thought of please help me!!!!??
thanks in advance.. last time i posted here nobody replied lol hoping for an answer this time!!

Last edited:

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
The under-the-flywheel power pack is somewhat less durable, as I understand it -- more susceptible to failure from overheating. If you are in process of replacing it, you may hit on the problem. Clean the shaft and flywheel tapers, and torque to spec. -- new oem key if you need it.

You didn't mention the cooling system, unless I missed it (impeller, t.stat, temp switch, and check to insure the engine is running at proper temps).