setting timing on 1987 johnson 90 hp

kentrx1

Seaman
i have been reading the "j. reeves" version of setting the timing without having the engine running. I have a couple of questions I would appreciate some help with. The first concerns setting the timer base against rubber stop at end of advance stop screw. Does anyone have a picture of exactly what/where i would find that? The second question concerns using a spark tester to number one cylinder plug wire and then and then hooking timing light to the number one wire. What purpose does the spark tester do? Anyone happen to have a video of doing this procedure? Thanks in advance to anyone who can educate me on this process.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
The first concerns setting the timer base against rubber stop at end of advance stop screw. Does anyone have a picture of exactly what/where i would find that?
That model don't have it......

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
EDIT:
Faztbullet answered....

​Removed incorrect info..

kentrx1

Seaman
does that mean i just skip that step or will that method of setting timing not work for my engine?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
I don't recall when I wrote that 4 degree retard timing setup... it's possible that the timing linkage setup of the 90hp didn't exist at that time.

Check your manual to see what it has to say about checking and setting the timing normally and substitute that in place of the rubber stop method to obtain the 4 degree difference.

kentrx1

Seaman
thanks for your response joe. from what i understand then i will just skip that step but still hold the throttle butterfly wide open while cranking engine with plugs out and deduct 4 degrees from listed advanced timing number at wot.