SOLVED +++ help identifying Johnson 6 cylinder - missing placard

osuchica1284

Cadet
Hi, just bought a well used 1983 Wellcraft v20 with what was listed as a Johnson 200 VRO because that's the decal wrap on the motor cover. Just got home and unloaded and now I'm trying to obtain info so I can start sourcing parts BUT no placard on the motor anywhere!!!! I called a local shop here in sunny Florida and they said with no placard, you're SOL.

Is there anyway I can identify the year, model motor through other means? I already took the engine cover off and didn't see anything outside of some engine components with (part?) numbers embossed in them. The 200 VRO WAS offered on those hulls back in 1983 so up until now, I assumed it was original ...

Let me know if you want / need photos of the motor. Thank you!!!!

osuchica1284

Cadet
No - is it supposed to? The boat came with a clear title from an owner who had it for two years and they didn't put the motor on there - no telling how long it's been on the boat.

One of the heads is stamped 333809-4

btw, just found this info - I have a CDI 113-4037 power pack and judging from CDI's website, it fits 1988-1992 models.

http://www.outboardignition.com/jand...&hval=47&val=6

WhiteRice

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If you have the "clear title" as you state, you should be able to track down the model number of the motor through a reverse VIN search. Every motor has (or should have) a VIN. It will take a little bit of leg-work but you could start with your state office that you would register your motor with.

osuchica1284

Cadet
The boat has a title, the motor does not and given that the power pack fits 88-92 Johnson's, it's pretty unlikely that motor was a factory original on my 1983 so I'm not sure how a reverse VIN would get that info. Second to the best of my noob knowledge, Florida does not require titles on motors (or trailers under 2k lbs) - in fact in Florida you can itemize your bill of sale to EXCLUDE the price of the outboard, thus lowering the tax you pay at the DMV ( which I did! )

Third, I bought a used boat that's ready to get in the water for $1,350 AND if by chance the motor was declared stolen at some point in its 30 year life span and I go snooping around like scooby doo, I'm out a motor that will cost thousands to replace - there's no incentive for me to dig up old bones lol. If I was told the motor was stolen by someone in the know that's one thing, I never would have bought the boat. But as it stands, it looks like a solid private sale from a nice young couple who enjoyed that boat for a couple years before getting pregnant with another kid and thus, needing the money.

daselbee

Commander
Don't worry. Evinrude built motors that sort of belong in certain "families". Early 200s were crossflows, 2 power packs, three double carbs, pretty basic.
Then came the 200 loopers, six individual carbs, etc. Then the second generation of 200 looper with refined engineering...better design of carbs etc.

A good Evinrude guy can simply look at your motor and tell what it is. It won't be hard to figure it out, and once the "family" is identified, parts are common in the specific "family".

Where in FL are you?

daselbee

Commander
The 333809 number you found is the CASTING number of the head. Pretty much useless to us without OMC dealer and factory support. The -4 you show is simply the number of the head bolt that you are to torque the heads in sequence to. Look at the other head bolts....see the numbers?

osuchica1284

Cadet

first round ... I feel like when you see the next round of photos, the term Frankenstein Motor is going to get thrown around ... I found the freezeplug with the model number !!!???? Buuuuuuut I don't think it's going to be in line with what the engine cover says ....

Last edited:

osuchica1284

Cadet
So what does that freeze plug mean? I mean 225 stands out pretty obvious

btw, my hull is rated 200HP MAX for outboards - could it be possible that someone, somewhere along the way snuck in a 225HP and threw a 200 VRO cover on it to keep the Coast Guard from having a field day if they board u???
image20170821_180249066.jpg
image20170821_180117801.jpg
image20170821_180228163.jpg
image20170821_180309656.jpg

Last edited:

osuchica1284

Cadet
and while I have you ... what are these "plates" on the side of the upper unit? both sides look about the same - with that round extrusion in the center - UGH and that NASTY sealant job on the lower unit. that joint isn't even gasketed right? I think that may have been the seller's handiwork actually ...

image20170821_180521826.jpg

daselbee

Commander
Early run of the V6 looper. Protruding bulges on LU side plates are corrosion pops. Very common motor, easy to find parts. The round knurled knob you see sticking out in front stbd side of air silencer is NLA...they break, and you gotta get one from a junkyard. Important part for engine timing.
Simple to find parts for.

daselbee

Commander
If this particular engine had the water valve on the side controlled by the throttle, it looks like it may have been removed. Rightly so too.

osuchica1284

Cadet
Early run of the V6 looper. Protruding bulges on LU side plates are corrosion pops. Very common motor, easy to find parts. The round knurled knob you see sticking out in front stbd side of air silencer is NLA...they break, and you gotta get one from a junkyard. Important part for engine timing.
Simple to find parts for.

ok, very good to know - ty!

so I read that every year engine has its minor difference from other years which is why it's important to get the right service manual - what do you recommend for someone in my situation to find the right manual?

daselbee

Commander
Well first off, I must insist on an Evinrude OEM Service Manual. No Clymer, No Seloc. Then lets try to pin down your year closer. The big differences here are in the carbs. Jet sizes in particular. The 225 on the welch plug means nothing except 225xxxxx. Just numbers. It does not mean it was a 225 for example. You can try Evinrude customer service and see if they can ID the welch plug number G225xxxxx, but it is iffy.

Pull the air silencer off and look down throat. If butterfly has three screws, 225. If butterfly has two screws, 200.
See? this is the detail that will ID the motor for you.

175se

Petty Officer 1st Class
By the way those plates on the mid(the 4 bolts) are the lower motor mounts

osuchica1284

Cadet
By the way those plates on the mid(the 4 bolts) are the lower motor mounts

lower motor mounts? Please explain **** nevermind, I figured it out

**** update - there are only 2 screws on the butterflies so I guess 200hp it is?

Last edited:

osuchica1284

Cadet
I have just been told through the Evinrude community forum that my motor is a 1989 J200TXCE based on the stamped numbers on the disk - can anyone verify that?