62 evinrude 5.5hp tiller arm

Old56

Seaman
The tiller arm on my motor doesn't have the start or run icons I'm pretty sure stop is all the way clockwise is there any way to know where the start line is by looking at the cam follower any help would be great tx.

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
You should have a throttle stop. When in neutral advance the throttle until it hits the stop and that is the where you start it.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
You should have a throttle stop. When in neutral advance the throttle until it hits the stop and that is the where you start it.

No neutral throttle stop on the 5.5 models.

The notations on the collar are a loose guide at best. You should be able to start motor with throttle arrow set a little past vertical. Shift at lowest idle that it will shift without stalling. You should be able to operate the throttle by feel once you're familiar with your motor's quirks and operation. If needed, some marks can be made with nail polish or a Sharpie.

Old56

Seaman
Ok thanks I'll give her a try when the boss lets me back in the garage.

Old56

Seaman
Update thanks to everyone's knowledge and a little luck she finally started after 30 years almost fell off my feet but I noticed that there was no water comming out of the hole about half way up the impeller looked ok when I had the lower unit off would a faulty thermostat cause this problem I didn't run the motor more than a minute for fear that the water pump was not working still can't believe she started gives me renewed vigor any help would be great and again many thanks

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Where was the water level in your bucket? If needs to be above the bulge at the seam between the exhaust housing and the lower unit, as the water pump is not self-priming. The pump needs to be submerged to start pumping.

Old56

Seaman
Ooops I only had the water level about 3inches above what I believe is the water intake plate so water level has to be higher than where you take out the screws to drop the lower unit ?

TN-25

Chief Petty Officer
Yes, the water level needs to be no lower than the red line shown on the attachment below. At least when starting, or when running in a bucket. During normal operation when the motor is running through the water and the boat is up on a plane, water is getting scooped by the pickup on the underside of the exhaust, downstream from the prop.
water level mark.jpg

You would have damaged the impeller withing 5 seconds of running, but no matter. Given the age of the one that is in there now it needed to be changed anyway. Check to make sure it hasn't disintegrated, and if it has, account for all the rubber bits (you don't want them clogging a water tube).

Old56

Seaman
Thanks for the info I ran the motor for prob 30 seconds looks like I'll b dropping the lower unit again don't want to chance that I didn't do damage to the impeller
Unfortunately the power head has to come off to remove lower unit nothing is easy with old outboard motors at least I got her started thanks again