timing an '89 Johnson 9.9

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
NO need... preset... If the flywheel key has not sheared, it's in time.

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Motor starts, idles, runs to mid throttle, then bogs down. Replaced power pack, both coils, fuel pump, rebuilt/cleaned carb with no improvement. Thought I might run it at night without the cowl and look for a short, or, replace the sensor and drive coil.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
The small orifice/jet in the side of the plastic nozzle well is a critical point. At a minimum, I would spray it out with carb cleaner, using the plastic hose. Better to run a piece of soft wire or mono in to make sure it's clear. Additionally, the gaskets at the bottom and top of the well have to be in place. Replacement gaskets and idle tube come in the kit.

AlTn

Commander
on those model years you have the UFI Ignition < power pack and sensor are a single component located under the f/w along with a separate drive coil >...seems it must have been problematic as OMC went back to the old external p/p with sensor and exciter coils still under the f/w...I was told by a tech to change the charge coil at the same time as the sensor/p/p setup as the odds were that it would cause problems as well...all of this is void if someone has already switched your ignition back to the older external p/p setup