Would like to install generator in '66 60hp

Dzp111

Recruit
According to my manual a generator was an accessory to the engine. The bracket for it is there however while my manual shows how to service it, it doesn't say what kind of generator. That means I would also need to change the pulley under the flywheel. My internet search is not successful.

Has anyone done this? Any part number(s) would be helpful.

Thanks again.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Cheaper to buy a newer engine that has an alt already in it. Better efficiency too, those old V4s were very thirsty

Dzp111

Recruit
Cheaper to buy a newer engine that has an alt already in it. Better efficiency too, those old V4s were very thirsty

Wow Jimmbo, didn't expect that. I've been working hard on this engine to get it to par.. I'm asking about the generator (NOT AN ALT!) and you recommend I just replace the whole engine? Is it thirsty? Sure, but that's not my concern at the moment..

From what I understand there's a difference between a generator and an alt (correct me if I'm wrong). Anyway, my question was for those who could perhaps give me some direction.

: )

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Sorry if you didn't like my reply. I grew up with those engines, they are not my favorite. To add a generator is going to require a voltage regulator, a lot of new wiring, especially if you want to include an ammeter, and other parts not that easy to find. I just stated it would be likely to be cheaper overall just to buy a newer engine with an alt. Maybe the parts can be found on e-bay
A generator produces DC, and an Alt produces AC which then needs a rectifier to convert it to DC.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Jimmbo is correct, it will most likely be cheaper and faster to buy a different motor.

the easiest/cheapest/fastest way to convert ANY outboard to add something like said generator or electric start is a 3-step converstion

sell existing outboard - converting it to pile of cash
empty wallet on top of pile of cash, making bigger pile of cash
buy new outboard with features you want - converting cash to the outboard you need

the next thing to do is find a non-running outboard of the year that you have with all the stuff and convert it over. then hope that the stuff is in good shape.

the most expensive way is to spend hours looking up parts, buy all the parts, search for years for the NLA parts, piece together stuff.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Or a couple of batteries and battery switch. Just DO NOT charge them in the boat when the boat is in the water.