Just got off the phone with the shop...

WhiteRice

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I had a similar issue as you with my 1996 35 triple. Engine basically stayed in slow mode. Ordered a New Power Pack and the issue remained. The ultimate cause was in the wiring harness. Ended up cutting the tan wire for the low oil / no oil warning at the power pack connector. There are two tan wires one is for the over temp and the other is for oil system. To see if it is the wiring harness you need to disconnect the connector with the tan wires if the motor runs with no issues there is your problem.

Thanks hidef! Wish I would've seen this about 24 hours ago... lol. But I appreciate the info. May ask the shop to look into that if the PowerPack does not resolve this. That's basically what I asked from the original concern about the oil tank being removed and if anything could go wrong or needed to be done to the wiring for the low oil sensor possibly putting the motor into SLOW. Great info though!

TN-25

Chief Petty Officer
It is also worth mentioning that an overheat alarm will signal a powerhead overheating, but I can't see it sounding an alarm if an electronic module / power pack / coil is overheating. Often the problem with diagnosing these sorts of problems is that everything will test out fine on the bench, but try running it under load for 20 minutes and see what happens. And how do you reproduce that problem once you get back to shore and things have cooled down?
Anyway I hope that it is good news once you get your motor back. Let us know if the problem is solved, and Good Luck!

WhiteRice

Petty Officer 2nd Class
TN-25: That's very similar to what the tech was saying. They do have a test prop that will put it under some load but I guess I will find out once I pick it up and put it in the water for the day.

I appreciate the input

60sboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
I had a 1972 100 hp Evinrude with a bad one but it would either run normally or not even start.

tallcanadian

Captain
I used an infrared thermometer to check my engine for temperature. Great little device that tells a lot. Just aim and pull the trigger. Sounds like your mechanic needs one too.

WhiteRice

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sorry for the extended update. We live on the west side of the Houston area and needless to say.... water is something we have plenty of at the moment.

Powerpack was installed and the shop ran it in the test tank with a test prop at 5000RPM for approx 30 minutes. Did not die, did not stall and the timing was near perfect then hitched her up and brought her home. Now I may get the chance to use her for some water rescues later today and tomorrow (not exaggerating) before I even get a chance to get her back in the bay.

I appreciate all the info, advice and recommendations.