JOHNSON 175 Charging Problems?

night pirate

Cadet
Hello once again, I have that 1994 Johnson Ocean runner 175 I seem to have a charging problem, I tested battery and appeared to test bad so bought a new one and volt gauge is only showing 13,13.5 volts at 2k rpm. I believe should be charging about 14.25-14/1/2 or higher? I think I bought battery for nothing but to late now. I think might be voltage regulator? If was stator I think no charge at all? If you feel is regulator where is it located and by any chance do you know the Part#.
Thanks Frank

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Frank, Normal battery voltage is no more than 12.5VDC. Since you are seeing more than that, the motor is charging.

I would recommend you look for shorts. To do that you will need an ammeter. Set it for the highest amperage setting and put it in series with one of the battery posts and the battery cable. Work the amperage setting down until you can get an accurate reading of how much power is being consumed.

The next step is to find the short. It can be an accessory that was left on, a bad diode in the voltage regulator or a wire that was rubbed raw and is shorting to ground.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Your tachometer operates off of the engine's charging system.... keep in mind that if the tachometer is functioning perfectly, so is the charging system.

cfauvel

Chief Petty Officer
Your tachometer operates off of the engine's charging system.... keep in mind that if the tachometer is functioning perfectly, so is the charging system.

Joe,
Is that necessarily true though? the wires coming off the stator go into a voltage regulator...that is the input to the regulator , then there are several outputs. One being the red wire for recharging the battery , one grey wire for the tach feed and one purple wire for the accessory feed...couldn't there be diodes, transistors, and such inside the regulator that would NOT recharge the battery ,BUT give the tach feed? What I'm trying to say is...If the Tach is working, then VERY likely the regulator is good.

I respect you immensely, not trying to be a jerk.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Joe,
Is that necessarily true though? the wires coming off the stator go into a voltage regulator...that is the input to the regulator , then there are several outputs. One being the red wire for recharging the battery , one grey wire for the tach feed and one purple wire for the accessory feed...couldn't there be diodes, transistors, and such inside the regulator that would NOT recharge the battery ,BUT give the tach feed? What I'm trying to say is...If the Tach is working, then VERY likely the regulator is good. I respect you immensely, not trying to be a jerk.

No offense taken.... The unit is one piece containing two components, a regulator & rectifier. The tachometer operates off of the rectifier. If the rectifier fails = no tach, no bat charge..... If the regulator fails = tach goes nuts!, no bat charge, eventually unit catches on fire..... BOOM! :) Regulator/rectifier requires replacing regardless.

night pirate

Cadet
Hi guys, thank for the info. funny now that I'm reading the information on this, my tach does seem to not be accurate. It is intermitting I know by ear when rev in place at 2 k it may say 2 or 16 or 3 and also noticed when i am out running sometimes it will peak at 42 and others at 45 it seems to be erratic i did not know that the rectifaer and regulator are all in same item. I have a sneaky suspicion that may be the culprit! Hummm

night pirate

Cadet
also I meant to ask where is the regulator located and is it easy to change? I am not very good with electrical testing but can give it a shot. i spoke to a guy at the marina where i keep my boat and he was having a similar problem. he tested the stater and regulator and both tested good but had about 13.5 volts so took a gamble and chanced the regulator and now putting out 14.5 when out running on open water at high RPMS. thanks any help greatly appreciated.

Frank

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Hi guys, thank for the info. funny now that I'm reading the information on this, my tach does seem to not be accurate. It is intermitting I know by ear when rev in place at 2 k it may say 2 or 16 or 3 and also noticed when i am out running sometimes it will peak at 42 and others at 45 it seems to be erratic i did not know that the rectifaer and regulator are all in same item. I have a sneaky suspicion that may be the culprit! Hummm

also I meant to ask where is the regulator located and is it easy to change? I am not very good with electrical testing but can give it a shot. i spoke to a guy at the marina where i keep my boat and he was having a similar problem. he tested the stater and regulator and both tested good but had about 13.5 volts so took a gamble and chanced the regulator and now putting out 14.5 when out running on open water at high RPMS. thanks any help greatly appreciated.

Your sneaky suspicion is correct... BUT... do check your tachometer first as follows below.. I retired in 1991 so the location may be changed, but if not... The unit is normally installed on top of the powerhead, in back of the flywheel, under the powerpack. Not difficult to install, just time consuming... BUT... do disconnect the battery before you start as quite a few wires are involved and you do not want to risk a short when installing that new $$$$ unit.
(Testing Tachometer With Water Cooled Regulator/Rectifier)
(J. Reeves)

A quick check is to simply plug in a another new tachometer as a piece of test equipment. If the new tach works properly and the old tach didn't, obviously the old tach is faulty.... but usually boaters don't carry around a spare tach (see below).

A faulty rectifier wouldn't damage the tachometer, the tachometer simply wouldn't work. This is due to the fact that the tachometer operates off of the charging system and the rectifier converts AC voltage to DC voltage, enabling the charging system. A faulty rectifier disables the charging system, and the tachometer simply doesn't register.

However.... those water cooled regulator/rectifiers that are used on the 35 ampere charging systems (and some others) bring into play a different type problem, and as you've probably found out, they are really a pain to troubleshoot via the proper procedure. There's an easier way.

The tachometer sending/receiving setup operates off of the gray wire at the tachometer. That same gray wire exists at the engine wiring harness which is connected to the engine electrical terminal strip. You'll see that there is a gray wire leading from the regulator/rectifier to that terminal strip, and that there is another gray wire attached to it. That other gray wire is the wire leading to the tachometer which is the one you're looking for.

NOTE: For the later models that DO NOT incorporate a wiring terminal strip, splicing into the "Yellow Wire" mentioned will be necessary.

Normally the Gray wire leading from the tachometer is attached at the terminal strip to another Gray wire which leads from the water cooled voltage regulator/rectifier...... remove the gray wire that leads to the tachometer. Now, find the two (2) yellow wires leading from the stator to that terminal strip. Hopefully one of them is either yellow/gray or is connected to a yellow/gray wire at the terminal strip. If so, connect the gray wire you removed previously to that yellow/gray terminal. Start the engine and check the tachometers operation, and if the tachometer operates as it should, then the regulator/rectifier is faulty and will require replacing. If the tachometer is still faulty, replace the tachometer.

If neither of the yellow wires from the stator is yellow/gray, and neither is attached to a yellow/gray wire, then attach that gray tachometer wire to either yellow stator wire, then the other yellow wire, checking the tachometer operation on both connections.

I've found this method to be a quick and efficient way of finding out which component is faulty.... the tachometer or the regulator/rectifier. It sounds drawn out but really only takes a very short time to run through. If the water cooled regulator/rectifier proves to be faulty, don't put off replacing it as they have been known to catch on fire with disastrous consequences.

Last edited:

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
night pirate, I replied to your PM, but I cant find it in my "sent" folder...let me know if you got it.... it s possible the message center isn't operating correctly on Iboats.

cfauvel

Chief Petty Officer
No offense taken.... The unit is one piece containing two components, a regulator & rectifier. The tachometer operates off of the rectifier. If the rectifier fails = no tach, no bat charge..... If the regulator fails = tach goes nuts!, no bat charge, eventually unit catches on fire..... BOOM! :) Regulator/rectifier requires replacing regardless.
awesome ....didn't know that...thanks

night pirate

Cadet
Hello Joe ok thanks for the wealth of information and thank you all who replied as well. I'm confused how is an electrical past water cooled? May sound lost but don't know a lot about these motors, cars yes outboard no. I did some local research as well with local mechanic he said these rectifier/regulators go all the time and felt positive that this was my proble. How ever not to talkitove as he would rather I bring it to him and pay crazy money. I located a new one should be in here next week and will switch it out hopefully problem resolved.

Frank

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
I don't know what "crazy" money is..... sometimes $ is very well spent.... I do a lot of my own motor work and troubleshooting, but I still like taking my boat to a service shop. One thing is I trust the guy and he doesn't fix things that don't need fixing and he gives me OPTIONS.. and he looks at everything, and may see things I don't realize are happening.... by spending $ with this guy I help assure he will stays in business. hes an hour away and still think he is important!..... he stays open all year too!! the last time I brought my boat-motor to him, we talked trailers and trailer-boat set up, and just spoke openly and said, that kind of stuff you can do or I can do...but at $100/ hour you should just do this easy stuff yourself....and save the complicated stuff for the shop to do!

night pirate

Cadet
Hi guy's, well put new Rectifier/Regulator On motor and bingo all is good, simple job 20 min or so. Once installed revved up to about 2 k and voltage climbed up to 14.5 or so and charged there all day. I just wanted to say thank to all for all you help and input.

Frank